Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS8 memory card question

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by WRXINXS, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WRXINXS

WRXINXS Member

Hello,

I have a pretty cheap large capacity Transcend memory card for my ZS8. I have taken about 80 pictures over the last few months and transfered them all to my computer. Is it safe to delete what is on my ZS8 memory card and do a format now? I guess my question is, do I have all the attributes of the original image on my computer after I transfered it from my memory card? Or is there any benefit to keeping what is on my memory card?

Thanks,
    Drew

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

As long as you've transferred all the data to your computer there's no reason why you can't delete the photos on your memory card and format the card. However, there's no reason to format the card unless you're going to be using it for a different brand of camera or some other device.

3. WRXINXS

WRXINXS Member

Andy,

I thought that you were supposed to format every once in awhile? But you are saying I can just delete the images and not format?

Drew

4. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

After researching the issue, you're correct. The card should be formatted every few months. Deleting images removes them from the file system but the images remain on the card, though they will be overwritten by new images. There may also be data on the card that could lead to errors. Formatting will get rid of all images on the card plus the data that could cause errors.

5. WRXINXS

WRXINXS Member

Thanks for the help Andy!:)

6. Myron

Myron Well-Known Member

I stopped formatting used-up memory cards since my last experience. I transfered all my photos off the card into the PC. One day, the disc drive burned-out. I brought the PC in for repairs. The technician said that the disc must be replaced but that all memory stored on the disc would be lost. As a result, I never saw my precious photos again. Now, I just keep buying new cards and store the used ones. The cards are cheap enough ($10 for 8GB). Will the used memory cards store the photos forever? I hope so. Another option is storing on iCloud or Flickr but there's an annual fee. Storing precious photos on your PC is not a good permanent alternative.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.