Panasonic Lumix TZ5: First Thoughts

Discussion in 'Digital Camera News' started by David Rasnake, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Not sure. Let me do a little quick research and get back to you on that...

dr

2. David Rasnake

Yes, the adapter is 110-240V, so with a pin converter she'll be good to go.

dr

3. Roy Hagar

Roy Hagar Member

Hey David -

Do you know if Panasonic has done anything in the TZ5 to improve it's low-light shooting capabilities over the TZ3?

The TZ5 will be available the first of next month and I'm debating on getting one - but other than the larger CCD and the HD movie feature, I'm not seeing much incentive to upgrade.

For me, the 10X zoom and amazing clarity from the LEICA lens make this a killer "pocketable" camera. I value your opinion, and from your experience, can you think of another camera that out-performs the TZ3?

--Roy

4. David Rasnake

Not sure, Roy. Theoretically, yes, the low light abilities will be improved courtesy of the new Venus Engine VI processor. I was impressed with the FS3, which uses the same processor, though the FS20/FX35 are more average for the class. Given that it uses a similar sensor to the FX35 (though not identical - it's resolution is a tad lower for the same physical size, which if anything, should improve the high ISO performance), I would check out that review (it's on the top of the front page of this site at the moment) and draw your own conclusions.

I have always been really impressed with these cameras, in large measure due to their uniqueness. The Canon SX100 may offer slightly better IQ performance than the TZ3 (though we'll see if the TZ5 bests it), but it's so close that I wouldn't make a decision solely on that. And with AA battery power and a physically larger body, the SX100 can't touch the TZ cams for pocketability. If you don't need manual controls, there aren't a lot of cams out there that do what the TZ3 does.

dr

5. sylvia miller

sylvia miller New Member

@neenee:
    It happened on two cameras, so I don't know if it was a factory fault. I also googled and I see I'm not the only person to whom this has happened.

I use the camera pretty intensely, like several times a day. Possibly the frequent opening and closing wears out something inside. I guess it's only intended as a holiday snaps type of camera, not meant for the constant use I put it to.

6. the novice

the novice Member

hi everyone,i ordered a TZ5 yesterday and am a little confused about the sd card scenario.how many GB'S do i need and what "CLASS" card.your help would be much appreciated.thanks

7. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

The TZ5 works with regular SD memory cards (1 GB or 2 GB) or SDHC cards (4 GB or higher). The cards come in different transfer speeds. Unless you take lots of videos, a 2 GB regular SD card with a 40x or 50x transfer speed should be fine. If you do intend to take a lot of videos, spring for at least a 4 GB SDHC card with class 4 write speed.

8. the novice

the novice Member

ok,thats brilliant thanks for your advice

9. the novice

the novice Member

What's the difference between an SD card and an SDHC card? The camera I currently own is a Kodak cx 7530 5mp,which has a docking station for 1 touch picture transfer to my PC.How does the TZ5 transfer to PC?

10. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

I don't know the technical difference but I believe regular SD cards have a maximum of 2 GB, while SDHC cards can go up to 32 GB. SDHC cards are rated as class 2, 4 or 6 depending on their write speed. SDHC cards came into use in 2006 so older cameras are probably not compatible with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.