Panasonic slims down with Lumix DMC-FP8 and DMC-ZR1

Discussion in 'Digital Camera News' started by Allison Johnson, Jul 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allison Johnson

Allison Johnson News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Today Panasonic introduces the Lumix FP8, a whole new breed of Lumix camera with an ultra-slim profile, and the ZR1, boasting a slim 8x optical zoom lens. These cameras promise faster performance and better image stabilization.

Panasonic Lumix FP8
    The FP line features a notably slimmer profile, measuring a slim 0.8 inches. It may be small, but it's equipped with some competitive features. A quick spec check of the Lumix FP8 reveals a 12.1 megapixel sensor, 2.7 inch LCD, and 4.6x optical zoom range. The Leica-standard lens covers an equivalent focal length of 28-128mm.

[​IMG]

The FP8 will record 720p HD video at 30 fps, and shooting modes include Panasonic's iA Intelligent Auto mode for automatic scene selection. At the heart of the FP8 is a Venus Engine V processor, which promises more efficient processing and a boost in battery life. Panasonic will equip the Lumix FP8 with Power O.I.S optical image stabilization as well, which promises an improvement of 2x the blur-reduction of its predecessor, Mega O.I.S.

Picking up speed
    Another tech improvement to this class of Lumix cameras is a faster 0.96 second claimed start-up time and quicker auto focus operation. Panasonic offered us a little hands-on time with the FP8 last week, and I can say that their claims of faster AF seem justified. Even in a dim conference room, the FP8 snapped into focus quickly. Though I don't yet have our own lab data to back it up, I'd say it could compete with the fast performance we saw from the similarly-styled Sony T series.

Panasonic has taken a slight design departure in the control layout of the FP8, eliminating a center button in the four-way direction pad. The iA shooting mode has also been given a dedicated button on the top side of the camera, and the buttons on the back panel emit a blue LED glow.

[​IMG]

Panasonic Lumix ZR1
    The Panasonic Lumix ZR1 will feature a 0.3mm aspherical lens, trimming down the size of the whole camera body. The Leica 8x optical zoom lens will reach an equivalent focal length of 25-200mm. Behind the glass is a 12.1 megapixel sensor and the latest optical image stabilization also on-board the FP8.

[​IMG]

Other shared features include the 2.7 inch LCD, the Venus Engine V image processor, and 720p HD video recording at 30 fps.

Panasonic lists the start-up time of the ZR1 as 1.1 seconds, and they've incorporated faster auto focus technology on this model as well. With this fast operation, a 25mm wide angle lens and thin form-factor, the ZR1 has all the makings of an excellent travel camera. We'll be interested to see how it performs under a variety of conditions.

Pricing and availability
    The Lumix FP8 and Lumix ZR1 are set for release in September 2009. Expect the FP8 to debut at $299.95 and the ZR1 at $279.91.

Related Articles:

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2015
  2. photofreak8394

photofreak8394 Member

The ZR1 seems like a great travel camera.

3. AaronM

AaronM News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

What is the max aperture on the ZR1?
    A

4. Allison Johnson

Allison Johnson News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Panasonic lists the max aperture for the ZR1 as f/3.3 at wide angle and f/5.9 telephoto.

5. juten

juten New Member

Hi there,

I would like to know if this dmc-fp8 has also a maximum minutes length in video mode? There is a limit per continuous video of 2gb but is there a limit also in minutes? I would like to do about 60 min video capture in 640*480 mode...

thanks a lot,

juten

6. juten

juten New Member

More infos about my question:

I bought at the time a ultra slim Sony dsc-t20 (year 2008) and the maximum video capture length was 10 minutes... So not enough for me, this time I would to be sure before the purchase...

thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.