Panasonic TZ5?????????????????????

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by nines-, Jun 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nines-

nines- Member

Hey guys!
    I am looking for a new camera, with good zoom, good pictures and a good video quality. So, i have chosen PANASONIC TZ5. Is it a good choice, or is there any better camera? The things I don't like about TZ5 is Bad microphone position and A MOtion-jpeg hd video quality. No mpeg4.
    Is there some other camera, that will have similar quality images, HD video @ mpeg4, and a good sound ?
    Price range ~450 bucks
    No koDak's please, the're not available in my country. (only m1033 that sucks)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

As far as I can tell, there's no long-zoom point and shoot camera, other than the TZ5, the Kodak Z812IS and the Kodak Z1012IS, with an HD video mode of 1280x720.

3. nines-

nines- Member

And what about if we forget about zoom. 5x optical is still ok. Mpeg4 hd-video is a priority for me))
    To summarise, I would like to say i search for a pretty compact camera, with some optical zoom, decent picture quality and HD-video in MPEG4 for around 450 bucks. :p
    But not Kodak. They are overpriced outside USA and hard to find. Panasonic tz5 sees good to me. I just ask if maybe there are better cameras that will fit my needs for that price.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  4. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Beyond Kodak and the Panasonics (which all use Motion JPEG) I don't know that there's anything else out there that shoots HD video at the moment.

dr

5. nines-

nines- Member

Thanks for your replies. I'm gonna order a TZ5 then. Still a good camera and not overpriced here like kodak

6. nines-

nines- Member

Got a question again. Does tz5 have a hole in where a microphone can be fit i?
    I heard that it got a VERY bad audio quality. Is it true?

7. David Rasnake

No, there is no external microphone jack on the TZ5 or any other digital still camera.

The audio quality is not good (sounds like the mic is at the bottom of a trash can), but this is pretty much par for the course in digital still cameras used for video.

dr

8. Reid Welch

Reid Welch New Member

I would say so, judging by the TZ5A I bought.

The sound is so terrible that it should be considered a fatal design flaw.
    Panasonic's stance at this time: "There are no known audio issues with this camera."

Therefore, I have made two short videos for You Tube showing in audio how bad the TZ5 sound can be,
    even under optimal conditions. If intelligible voice recording from a tripod mounted camera
    six feet away is important (it is), the TZ5 appears to be the worst-sounding digicam, ever.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TZ5A
    (I should have ironed my shirt)
    Panasonic should have ironed out their own wrinkles too.

The TZ5 is a fine, great, all-round camera, crippled in video utility by god-awful audio.

Buyer beware: do you mind to sound like Elmer Fudd. TZ5 does that to my voice at least.

I am really sorry to pan the TZ5 on this issue but the truth must be gotten out.
    For some people, half-decent audio is a minimum requirement.
    TZ5 audio (my camera for sure) sucks at recording the human voice.
    Also, the hiss...the "signal to noise ratio" is very low. Hissssssssss.

9. David Rasnake

Wow, Reid - your camera has ambient noise beyond just about anything I've ever heard. Ours sounded bad (same kind of canned, bouncy, poorly decoded audio), but certainly didn't have that level of hiss.

Thanks for sharing that...

dr

10. Reid Welch

Reid Welch New Member

Hi David. Thanks for the welcome and for helping me with perspectives.
    I'm hoping that my camera is just a particularly defective sample.
    But I'm afraid it's not a defective sample at all---could they all be like this?

The other video of the two, done ten minutes later under identical conditions,
    is so different, better, OK-enough for any of us casual users. It's Casio.

I hope to get Panasonic's attention in Japan.
    So far, the USA Panasonic people are clueless; I quoted from a telephone message they just left on my answering machine.

Actual demonstration of the absurdly bad TZ5 sound quality is documented in order to force the issue with Panasonic.

I would not have bought the camera if I'd known it would be nearly useless in recording voices six feet or so from the camera.

IF I talk really clearly right into the mic, ten inches away from the mic, the voice is "OK" (still hissy and not clear like the Casio).

It is 8bit, 8khz ("telephone quality") sound by design. But in their actual implementation, the result is not even that, not by a long shot.

Thanks for the quick input and for understanding that I don't wish to be a downer.
    I only want to save others from confusion and disappointment.
    What a shame because it's a wonderful camera in so many other ways.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.