Pentax DA 17-70mm f/4 lens review gallery posted

Discussion in 'Digital Camera News' started by David Rasnake, Aug 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Our Pentax DA 17-70mm f/4 lens review is still in process, but I just wrapped up a few days of outdoor shooting with the lens and a small gallery of favorites from the field test have been added to Flickr.

[​IMG]

The ten shots, which also appear below, show off Pentax's latest mid-grade constant aperture glass across its zoom and aperture ranges.

Initially, we've been impressed with improved build quality in Pentax's latest f/4 zoom when compared to its 16-45mm f/4 predecessor. Likewise, sharpness appears to be more than adequate with the lens wide open, and purple fringing seems to be less of a concern here than we've seen in this series in the past.

We still have some studio work to finish with this lens and lots of testing notes to condense before we make final pronouncements on the 17-70mm's performance. Look for our complete review of the Pentax DA 17-70mm f/4 to follow within the week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2015
  2. Nicky2007

Nicky2007 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great pictures David. They are really beautiful. I'm certainly looking forward very much to the coming review about this Pentax lens. By the way, Pentax has a copy of a road map (PDF file) concerning the development of their camera lenses on their English language website in Japan. Just in case anyone may be interested ;)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  3. Nautilus

Nautilus Well-Known Member

Thank you for the pictures, lovely lovely !!

I am getting impressed with Pentax. Xmas is around the corner, K20 !!!

4. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Thanks, guys. I've been impressed with what this lens is capable of: it certainly looks like an excellent successor to Pentax's 16-45mm f/4, with excellent contrast and color and pretty good sharpness throughout its range from all indications. Pentax continues to struggle for market share, and they've been slow to move on some of those roadmap items, but we've been favorably impressed with what we've seen from them lately on the whole.

dr

5. Nicky2007

Nicky2007 Well-Known Member

Right on David, but do add on a bit of information about the KAF3 mount that comes with this lens in your coming review. Will really appreciate it. Thanks ;)

6. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

Awesome pictures, looks like a nice lens, I plan on picking the Pentax or maybe the Sigma in the future as a kit lens replacement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.