Pentax K-m

Discussion in 'Pentax' started by Stevbike, May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stevbike

Stevbike Member

Just bought a new Pentax K-m. From the test shoots I have done, it works well. After setting up the menu to allow the older Pentax lens I have from my older film based Pentax SLR's. I now have a nice range of lens for this new camera. They range from the SMC 75 to 150 zoom to a 500 Tokina F8 mirror lens. It is great to get into using a SLR camera again. I have been using a Fuji compact point and shoot type (a Fuji S5000, S1000fd and S1500) and like these as well but getting to use my Pentax lens again is great.

On another note, I like playing with all types of cameras. I like playing with small key chain cameras. I placed a 2X converter on to a key chain camera and got this set-up http://www.flickr.com/photos/pixs2009/3529226391/. Photography is fun at all levels!

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

It looks like something out of the new Star Trek movie.:)

3. Stevbike

Stevbike Member

I am going to post some pictures taken with Pentax. They will be posted on the flickr site. I will post some pictures from the little guy as well. As far as the K-m goes, it is great that Pentax designed their camera to use there older classic lenses on there newest cameras. The only drawback is that most of the features do not work. It is a lot like using the old Pentax MX but it is battery powered. You have to use the manual mode to use the older lenses (that is anything older then the A series lenses). The nice thing is once you do a test shot and review it to see if the exporsure is to your liking, you get great results. Anyone used to using a handheld light meter on a older film SLR camera will like the old school way with the digital SLR.

4. Stevbike

Stevbike Member

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  5. Stevbike

Stevbike Member

After playing with the camera I found out a few new thinks about it. The TTL light meter does work. Here are the details.

Since the older SMC lenses lack the electronic contact pins that the A series and newer lenese have, a F-stop number will not display. However, the stutter speed does. I played around using the camera in the aperture priority setting. The camera selected the proper stutter speed based on the F-stop being used. I placed the camera on it's Auto ISO setting and the camera picked a higher ISO to gain a higher shutter speed. When I used my Tokina 500mm mirror lens, I got a nice clean image. The ISO speed was boosted up and a bit of grain is coming through but the image looks good. I will post some picture to show some examples older lenses being used on the K-m.

6. Stevbike

Stevbike Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.