Pentax K100D Super - Hot Pixel?

Discussion in 'Pentax' started by kubel, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kubel

kubel Member

I just bought a Pentax K100D Super, and I have noticed a green speck that appears in nearly every shot at the same location. It's too bright and fine to be dust. I read that this is common at longer exposures, but I'm noticing this problem off and on, even at exposures of 1/4000 second and at as low as ISO 200 (both, I have read, are at the extreme opposite end of when hot pixels are likely to show). Does this mean I have a bad sensor?

I tried viewing some RAW files in Camera Raw 4.2 (Photoshop CS3), but it features a real-time hot pixel remover, so the green speck is gone a split second after I open the RAW file. Since I can see it in RAW (at least for a second), I'm fairly certain this isn't just JPEG compression causing it.

I'm sort of confused as to what to do. Should I return the camera to NewEgg for a replacement (I think they offer a limited 30-day same-item-exchange policy on cameras)? Or send it in to Pentax for warranty repair? Or is this something so common that I shouldn't worry?

2. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

If you're not happy with the camera (and most wouldn't be with a stuck pixel), then I'd take advantage of NewEgg's exchange policy.

3. kubel

kubel Member

I just contacted NewEgg and they said they couldn't help since I remove the UPC codes from the box already. I guess I should have spent more time with the camera before doing that... My fault.

Pentax says I have to wait 15-20 days plus the shipping time both ways. So that's like a month. This is so frustrating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.