Pentax K10D or Olympus E510

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by jtom, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtom

jtom Active Member

I am in the market for a dslr and these two cameras are very similar except for the price. I can get the E510 with the two lense kit for less then the one less kit with the pentax. I like the pentax because I hear about its very good build quality and dust/moisture resistance. I also have seen cheap telephoto sigma lenses for the pentax and it seems that theres alot more lenses (specifically cheap ones) for the pentax. I will mainly be using this camera for outdoor pictures so having better build quality and moisture resistant would be nice. However, I am a very careful person so I could probably get by without those features.

However I feel you get more for your money with the olympus and with the two lens I will not need to get another lens right away as I would with the pentax.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  2. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

jtom,
    Both the E510 and the K10D are excellent cameras. They're also two of the best deals currently on the market, in my opinion.

That said, I would probably recommend the Pentax over the Olympus, on the strengths of its weather sealing, image stabilization system, overall image quality, and availability of lenses when compared to the Olympus. In my mind, the difference in price is worth it to move up to the more semi-pro focused Pentax.

Either way, though, you'll be getting a great camera. If you haven't already checked them out, take a look at our reviews of both the Olympus and the Pentax.

Good luck in choosing!

dr

3. jtom

jtom Active Member

I had a feeling you would recommmend the pentax. I realize its better in most areas with the build quality and much larger lens selection. I just really dislike the fact that I will have to pay a little more for the one lens kit and have to buy another lens when compared to the two lens olympus kit which is alot less. Im sure its worth it in the end.

I guess I will just have to keep waiting for the prices to go down a little, I have a while before I want to buy......

I have already read those reviews and both seem to be really positive.

4. jtom

jtom Active Member

Maybe another comparison we should make would be between the pentax K100D and the E510.

5. shundaroni

shundaroni New Member

One of my friends is in the same boat right now...trying to decide between the E510 and the K10D. He recently sold his Nikon D50 (for whatever reason), then realized he really missed having a camera. Since the rest of our mutual friends own Nikons (I have a D80, three other guys have D50's), and since the D80 is a little expensive for his tastes, he wants to try something different.

I recommended the Olympus to him, and we started researching it together. I then stumbled across the Pentax, and discovered that it seems to be a better deal overall. Though it's initial price is higher, it's long term cost is substantially lower and it offers more room for improvement. With cheaper lenses, a much larger lens selection, and the optional battery grip, etc. the Pentax appears to be superior, and I've become a big proponent of the K10D.

6. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

jtom,
    The K100D vs. the E510 is probably a more fair comparison. I would still choose the Pentax, based on the wide availablity of lenses if nothing else.

As I said before, though, the E510 is a good camera and I don't want to sell it short. It's my feeling (and the same goes for the K10D perhaps even more strongly) that you're really getting more for your money with the Pentax in terms of quality and flexibility of the system.

dr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.