Pentax K200D Review Discussion

Discussion in 'Digital Camera News' started by David Rasnake, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

With Pentax's 6 megapixel entry-level concept beginning to really show its age, few were surprised by the addition of a new 10.2 megapixel DSLR, the Pentax K200D, to the company's stable this year. Adding a rugged, sealed body, a larger LCD, and advanced imaging technology to its predecessor's 11-point AF and in-camera image stabilization, the new model seem like a pretty sizeable leap for Pentax in the generally incremental world of entry-level DSLR improvements. Offering a "budget super camera" - essentially a K10D at K100D prices - could be Pentax's ticket to gaining ground on the leading contenders in the breakneck consumer DSLR race. Read on to see how well the K200D delivers on this promise.

Read the full content of this Article: Pentax K200D Review

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2015
  2. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

Re: Pentax K200D Review

Excellent and thorough review! Very well written with the main points well outlined and explained.

I definitely enjoyed reading this review.

After reading the review I really do think that the Pentax K200D is a very nice camera especially considering that you can get it for around $700. The main things that I really like and impress me the most is the build quality, I like my cameras to feel solid and well built so the weight and size is certainly no issue to me, in fact its an advantage, my Fuji Film S9100 is well built for the most part, much better than a few Canon's and Pany's that I handled. Camera image quality is still an important factor and more important than build quality but its worth noting the excellent build compared to other entry level DSLR's.

I also like the camera's sort of intended market as being the advanced amateur and not people who are just jumping out of the point and shoot market into the DSLR market. I like the more professional look and feel of the camera overall. I am also a fan of in camera shake reduction and Pentax apparently has implemented a good system here.

Continuous shooting is a bit weak and I would have liked it to be a bit faster, but I am not much of an action shooter so this is far less relevant to me than it might be to other people.

Autofocus seems to use a proven and reliable system and while not the best out there, seems to get the job done pretty quickly and accurately and thats enough for me. Pentax also produces some nice lenses that I would like to use should I buy this camera.

ISO performance looks to be about average and ISO 1600 seems to be very usable as well, I would have liked high ISO performance to be a bit better but you can never just find the perfect mode, compromises always have to be made! :p

Overall image quality looks a lot like the K10D and thats a good thing because I have seen many K10D images and they are amazing.

I will definitely be looking forward to the Canon Digital Rebel XSi review as well.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  3. Jerry Jackson

Jerry Jackson Administrator News/Review Writer

There is a lot to like about this camera. Pentax did an excellent job in most areas, but the burst/continuous shooting performance is horrible compared to even the previous generation Canon Rebel or Nikon DSLRs.

The K200D also seems to be pretty massive. I really wish Pentax made a smaller DSLR body (sort of an update to their old *ist DL which was the smallest and lightest DSLR for a while). Combined with Pentax's excellent range of small prime lenses, I can't escape the feeling that Pentax desperately needs a compact DSLR with reasonably good specs.

4. usapatriot

The Canon Digital Rebel XSi will probably best the Pentax K200D in many areas but I really like Pentax build quality compared to Canon and I also like the weather/dust sealing. I also think that the top LCD panel is quite useful but in the end it will all boil down to image quality.

One thing that I am really after is dynamic range, I am sick and tired of blown highlights or pitch black shadows and non-smooth transitions between different types of light with my current camera. So dynamic range will be a determining factor to me.

Between the Canon Digital Rebel XSi and Pentax K200D both cameras have their respective advantages and disadvantages but how these will ultimately affect image quality is yet to be known until the XSi is reviewed and a head to head is done.

*chants* "fight! fight! fight! fight!"

:p

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  5. dcmsox2004

dcmsox2004 New Member

thanks for the great review... i had the k100d and was satisfied with the
    picture quality.... landscapes, still life and people pics primarily
    (accessory av door does break too easily)..
    i just purchased the k200d body (amazon, photoworld in ohio for 649- and with the amazon credit card, another 30- taken off the invoice.. a net of 619.00)..
    i'd read many reviews of cameras in this price range... and have found that the pentax, inclusive of shake reduction (body), dust reduction, and weather sealing, is quite the bang for the buck if one shops around...
    i'm interested in the new dynamic range functionality in real world testing... new technology always sounds nice, but the results will be the ultimate judge...
    yes, the slow write speed to the limited buffer is a pain, but knowing the limitations, i've tried to avoid low light action situations if possible (for continuous shooting)..... not horrible, but could stand improvement from pentax.. for what it's worth, the folks a pentax tech in colorado are knowledgeable and nice to chat with... (also, the parts department is very considerate)
    i'm looking forward to posting my results with the k200d later....
    regards, d.c.meyers

6. David Rasnake

Thanks, d.c. Glad you enjoyed the review, and welcome to the forum.

I think you're right about the buffer issue - that for many users (landscape shooters, for instance) or with a little thought and planning it's not as big of a deal as camera reviewers make it out to be (still, though, I agree that I would appreciate a little more from Pentax on this).

I didn't spend much time with the expanded dynamic range function (just a few comparison shots, which didn't yield much difference to be honest), and hope we'll see some side-by-siding of this from K200D owners out there.

Please do. We look forward to seeing them.

dr

7. David Rasnake

Thanks for the kudos. I know you've been eagerly awaiting this one. ;)

I have a lens review to clear and then I'll have a little while to dig in with the XSi (and hopefully some good weather to get out and do some shooting). I, too, will be interested in seeing how these two stack up: the Canon has a lot going for it, including a more illustrious sensor/processor combination and a great lens selection. Early thoughts are that it's certainly more appealing to new users, if I had to guess (then again, what do I know: I'm not a new user...). With their great primes, though, I really kind of appreciate Pentax's quirkiness, and the quality from some of these fixed-length lenses is really stunning.

dr

8. Jerry Jackson

Jerry Jackson Administrator News/Review Writer

Agreed. I originally fell in love with Pentax 35mm film SLRs because of their great primes. The new DA Limited prime lenses are absolutely amazing from the center all the way to the extreme edge of the frame. The older FA Limited primes tend to get more attention online, but I'll be happy to argue that the new DA Limited lenses and the new DA* SDM primes are (in terms of overall optical construction, build quality, and affordable price) the best glass Pentax has ever produced.

I'll take one of the new DA Limited primes or a DA* SDM prime over Canon L glass any day.

9. usapatriot

Quick question, when you use continuous shooting made and fire off a four frame burst at 2.8fps, how long does it take before you are able to fire off another burst?

10. David Rasnake

The buffer flush time is around 4 seconds for JPEGS, over 10 seconds for RAWs with the 200.

dr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.