Pentax K200D Review Discussion

Discussion in 'Digital Camera News' started by David Rasnake, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

Re: Pentax K200D Review

I guess thats not too bad when shooting JPEG's, I'd image that that is what I would use for any moving subjects/action/sports/etc and I'd use RAW for landscapes/still subjects/etc.

I like the K200D quite a lot, but I must wait for XSi reviews before I come to any final conclusions, its kind of hard though I really like the weather sealing and build quality compared to the Rebel.

So, difficult!

Must, try to, make, image quality my top priority! :p

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  2. dcmsox2004

dcmsox2004 New Member

hi.... a just purchased the k200d body... looking forward
    to the 'test' drive.....
    i'm a bit confused :confused:
    the manual mentions nimh batteries in one breath, and in
    the next, states they should not be used....
    recommending lithium 'aa' type....
    with the cost of lithium batteries and the 'green' impact...
    what's an ecology minded shooter to do?????
    (i did email pentax, and will post their reply)
    fyi... i never mix/match nimh aa's, same mfg, same mah....
    regards... an anxious shooter. dave m

3. Jerry Jackson

Jerry Jackson Administrator News/Review Writer

The reason that nimh batteries tend to not be as ideal as lithium or proprietary lithium-ion batteries is that nickel metal hydride (nimh) tends to suffer from a type of "trickle discharge" effect. (That's a poor fool's terminology, not an actual engineering term.)

In short, lithiums provide a full power output until the battery gets so used up that it can't provide any more charge. Nimh batteries provide a full power output at first but slowly begin to provide less and less power as the battery gets more and more depleted.

If your electronic device requires a consistent power output then nimh batteries might not be the best (even though they are better for the environment). I have a number of electronic devices that don't respond well to nimh batteries but work perfectly when I use lithium AAs or old-fashioned alkaline batteries.

The best nimh batteries I've found have been he Sanyo Eneloop brand batteries. I don't fully understand the technology/engineering behind behind why the Eneloop batteries work better, but they do. I get as much battery life out of Sanyo Eneloop batteries in my cameras as I do with Lithium AAs. My other nimh batteries only last half as long (at best).

4. leaftye

leaftye Well-Known Member

David, thanks for this review. The Pentax is almost exactly what I'm looking for. It uses AA batteries, a common type of memory, and has the option of using older cheaper lenses because it has in-body IS. I wish it had a better burst mode, but that's probably something I'll never need.

This may very well be my next camera, especially since Fuji has abandoned AA batteries in their best slr-like cameras.

5. usapatriot

Yup, I can't wait for that XSi review, seems like the huge advantage that it was supposed to have over the K200D is no more according to preliminary reviews.

6. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

I think that's probably a lot of people, leaftye. On the one hand, if Pentax (being a small-time player compared to Canon/Nikon) really needs to be pretty dominant on specs to gain market share, and I think in this respect the criticism is fair. On the other hand, I wonder how much of a concern burst shooting capabilities are for most users looking for a basic DSLR (Pentax's slow burst speed is a much bigger deal on the advanced amateur K10/K20, in my opinion).

dr

7. dcmsox2004

dcmsox2004 New Member

the k200d and nimh batteries are OKAY

hi.... just spoke with pentax in colorado.....
    randy was the tech rep.....

turns out that nimh, lithium aa's, and just plain old alkaline aa's
    are fine to use...:)
    the manual is WRONG...... they know about the trickle effect but state that it will not cause any damage to the camera....
    obviously, the manual contradicts itself........
    i asked pentax if they would post something on their website to
    acknowledge this problem, and while the powers that be are aware,
    they have not taken any action to date....

PENTAX service Center
    12000 Zuni Street, Suite 100-B
    Westminster, CO 80234

1-800-877-0155

(Monday-Friday 7:30am-4:00pm, Mountain Standard Time)

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2015
  8. usapatriot

I was looking at some DIWA lab test charts and I noticed two things.

First, the Pentax K200D has a better overall dynamic range compared to the Canon Digital Rebel XSi, Nikon D60 and Nikon D300 (actually I was surprised, the Nikon D300 has about 1 stop less of dynamic range compared to the K200D). The Canon 40D however bests all of them.

Second, the Pentax K200D appears to exhibit more noise at ISO's 100-400 compared to the XSi but a bit less noise than the XSi between ISO 800-1600.

Seems like the dynamic range issue is solved for me and so is ISO performance, both the K200D and XSi perform relatively well in both respects.

Now its basically down to the autofocus and a few relatively minor features to be compared between the two models. Anyways, I'm aiming for a summer purchase date.

9. usapatriot

Just Ordered K200D

So basically I just ordered a K200D Kit from Amazon!

I wonder how battery life will be with 4 Eneloops!

I also got a Sandisk Extreme III 4gb SDHC for the fastest performance possible, chances are the camera won't write to the card as fast as the card can write.

10. Jerry Jackson

Jerry Jackson Administrator News/Review Writer

Re: Just Ordered K200D

I use Eneloops in my old DL and while I've never performed laboratory testing on battery life I can tell you that the Eneloops do better than my other NiMH batteries.

I went to a dinner party on Saturday and decided to take my old DL with DA 40 lens since it's smaller than my K10D. I put a fresh set of Eneloops inside the DL on Saturday morning and I've taken a couple hundred photos since Saturday morning and the DL is still going strong.

I think the AA-powered Pentax SLRs get fine battery life if you use high-power Lithium AAs or high-quality NiMH AAs like the Eneloops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.