Pentax K200D Review Discussion

Discussion in 'Digital Camera News' started by David Rasnake, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fraz

fraz New Member

Re: Pentax K200D Review

Just one thing I think I really must share about the AAs.

I have used a K100D for the year and a bit and found the best batteries by far++ are the "low self-discharge" variety. Such as Sanyo Eneloop and Powerex Imedion which I both use.

I took a set of each on a week long sailing trip and never had to change to the 2nd set! In fact the battery meter didn't even show a dent! A couple of friends with P&S lithium powered cameras had flat batteries by then. I'm still quite a fan of AAs.

Avoid at all costs the "very high capacity" AAs like ones marked 2500-2700 mah. It seems as side effect of achieving this they have very high self discharge rates, and also die prematurely. I'm had some which after a couple of days on the shelf show battery half flat on the K100d's meter.

Also a good charger is worthwhile. Individual channel, 500-1000 mA charge current are good things to look for. Avoid the 15 min - 1 hour chargers. They charge too fast, overheat the batteries, and don't provide fully capacity charge i've noticed. Maha makes good ones, probably others too.

Here's links to the Australian distributor I've used:
    http://servaas.com.au/maha-powerex-mhc401fs-aa-battery-charger-12v-adaptor-p-38.html
    http://servaas.com.au/sanyo-eneloop-2000mah-rechargeable-aa-4pk-p-66.html
    http://servaas.com.au/powerex-imedion-2100mah-aa-rechargeable-batteries-p-72.html

and the charger I use: (overkill but very good and well made)
    http://servaas.com.au/maha-powerex-mhc9000-wizardone-battery-charger-analyzer-p-52.html

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  2. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm using a fresh set of eneloops in my K200D and so far I have shot about 650 shots without the indicator even showing half charge.

I bought mine with the standard 7-hour charger, I might pick up another four batteries soon.

3. SirGary

SirGary New Member

I'm a fire investigator, so my camera spends it's time dangling off my neck
    as I clamber about in the smoke, dust and rain. When I went digital-,
    I chose the K200D because of it's weatherproofing & metal body;
    other pros were it's compatability with my old Pentax 35mm wideangle lenses, and the fact that both the K200D and my flash all run off omnipresent AA's.

In general, I'm very happy with it;
    It's fast on startup, and autofocusses well in low light etc.
    (I shoot in RAW; and batchprocess through Photoshop later;
    although it has a dual RAW/jpeg option);
    battery life also seems impressive.

I do have one major gripe on the K200D's ergonomic layout;
    I'm a southpaw, and wheneven I twist the SLR to take a portrait shot, my left hand nudges the AF/MF-button on the bottom-left-front face onto MF.

In the heat of the moment, I fail to notice the absence of the AF-drive whirr
    to discover the past hour and 80 carefully composed shots have been in vain.

It drives me insane! I actually briefly considered superglueing the button,
    but opted rather for taping it over with matt-black electrical tape.

- Gary KEMP

4. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

I'm glad that you are happy with your K200D, I am very happy with mine!

If you do a lot of vertical shooting you might want to consider the Pentax BG3 battery grip which has a extra shutter release and makes vertical shooting a lot more comfortable.

5. Jerry Jackson

Jerry Jackson Administrator News/Review Writer

Gary, you are not alone among photographers who have made the same mistake (myself included). It's a little less easy to flip the switch accidentally on the K10D or K20D, but most Pentax DSLRs have a vertical AF/MF switch that is easy to slide from one side to the other.

Tape, as you've discovered, is pretty much the best option if you don't care about MF. However, I would highly recommend the use of Black Gaffer's tape rather than standard black electrical tape. Gaffer's tape is designed to leave virtually no adhesive behind on any surface it's applied to and is a favorite among photographers who tape their cameras. Over time, the regualr black electrical tape will leave behind adhesive on the camera and that adhesive may get into places it shouldn't go ... interfering with camera operation.

Here is a link to one of the many, many photography equipment stores that sells gaffer's tape:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/200815-REG/General_Brand__Gaffer_Tape_Black.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.