Pentax K200D vs. Canon Digital Rebel XSi vs. Nikon D60

Discussion in 'Photography' started by usapatriot, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

I figured that we should have one thread totally dedicated to these three new DSLR's instead of discussing them in their respective forums!

After initial review of the specifications for these three entry level DSLR's I think that the Pentax followed by the Nikon (or vice versa) will have the best high ISO performance. I believe the Canon will have the worst high ISO performance of the three models.

Also, in terms of durability the Pentax wins because of its weather sealing followed by the probably well built and solid D60, however the XSi will presumably be last because its predecessors were not so solidly built.

So what are your thoughts on these new entry level DSLR's?

2. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Some additional thoughts from my addled brain, if anyone cares...

I'm interested to see where the Canon lines up in terms of build quality as well. I was very unimpressed with the early Digital Rebels (or the film Rebels, for that matter), with most every other entry-level DSLR that came into the market showing a marked difference in build quality versus the Canon. The original kit lens was especially cheap feeling, even for a poly-body kit unit (it's not like the ones from Pentax/Nikon feel well made, objectively...).

Canon has been improving gradually in this area, and it looks like this may be a very solid unit.

J. Keenan, one of our primary reviewers and a seasoned SLR shooter, has questioned before the appeal of live view, and I feel like the "me too" move that's been happening in the mid-level market, especially, is more for marketing copywriters than photographers. If the companies want to put live view somewhere, IMHO, it belongs first and foremost in the transition-from-compact models like the Rebel - not in mid- and upper-level pieces like the K20D and D300 (where it's rarely going to get used anyway).

This is, I guess, a general comment on Canon and Pentax: Canon's got the right idea in this area with the XSi; I wish Pentax, by contrast, had spent some time on 5 fps shooting and ditched the whole live view concept (which, we're guessing, will slow the camera down as it does in every other unit that uses a single-sensor system) for what is now clearly an enthusiast model. But I guess comments on the K20D probably belong in another thread. :)

As to the K200D, while it's clearly got a solid lineage (being a K10D moved down to entice entry-level shooters), if you can give up scene modes now may be the best time ever to jump into a K10D, as the price might well fall below the K200D if it hasn't already. Same amount of camera for less money? I know what I'd buy...

dr

3. usapatriot

Agreed about Canon's Rebel line, I do not expect the XSi to be much different.

Personally I believe that Pentax doesn't have the best burst speed but if it has the best high ISO performance then its a good trade-off.

I would however choose the K200D over the K10D because it has some nice features that the K10D does not have and it also has a new version of Pentax 's in body IS.

As for live view its not something I care for too much, so I am not really interested in any developments there.

4. AaronM

AaronM News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

I'll be interested to see how Sony plays into this. Their implementation of live-view seems to be the most useful(full AF in live view, and rotating screen).
    -a

5. David Rasnake

I'm glad you bumped this thread back up, Aaron. After playing with all of the new systems, I'm convinced that Sony has really put together the most viable and interesting of the new Live View offerings - it's certainly the closest to something dedicated DSLR shooters might actually use.

Sony's DSLRs slot a little higher in the market in terms of price for what are, in most ways, functionally competitive cameras. I think this system is the biggest step yet in their attempt to justify the slightly higher cost of buying into Sony by offering something that no one else is doing.

Just in case anyone missed it initially, I'll repost my initial thoughts on the Sony system from PMA:

All of this raises another question: even with the new models, Sony's DSLRs have largely been flying under the radar around here. I'd be interested in any and all feedback from forum members as to why this is. Is it only cost that limits interest in Sony versus Canon/Nikon/Pentax/Olympus, or something else?

dr

6. usapatriot

I am sort of shying away from Sony DSLR's because of lens quality concerns and costs. They also don't have many different lenses available (Don't really want to use old KM on the cam).

7. AaronM

AaronM News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Sony Lenses

Sigma to the rescue!

I think most of their lenses are available on Sony/Minolta mounts
    -a

8. Ailish Eklof

Ailish Eklof News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

I have bias that's likely completely unhelpful to me. As digital cameras are blends of optics and electronics, the manufacturers tend to be companies that I traditionally associate with either photography or consumer electronics. So, in the photography camp, I include brands such as Pentax, Canon, Nikon, and such. In the consumer electronic camp, I see such brands as Sony, HP, Casio and such. Since I think of a digital camera as, first and formost, a camera, my first thought is to look to photographic companies, rather than consumer electronic companies.

I freely admit that this might not be a reasonable bias, as there may well be excellent cameras from the companies I think of as consumer electronic companies. But it explains why I, at least, pay less attention to the cameras made by Sony and others.

9. camfreak

camfreak Active Member

I think the Canon is better than both the Pentax and the Nikon. I love the design and the uses of the Rebel Xsi.

10. usapatriot

I hate the kit lens that Canon includes in their entry level kit. It's poorly built and the manual focusing ring is a total loss compared to the Pentax one. Nikon is a little bit better but not much, Pentax has the best kit lens.

Also Pentax offers some really nice lenses at decent prices and in-body image stabilization means that every lens on the camera can be stabilized compared to having to buy more expensive IS or VR lenses from Canon and Nikon.

Personally for me, it's best value for the money and Pentax clearly offers that and so much more.

I mean, full weather sealing (extremely attractive to me) on a $699 (body only) camera (K200D)!?!?! Sure, it lags a bit in the continuous shooting department and maybe AF speed, but if you don't need the FPS, the camera excels everywhere else.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  11. David Rasnake

I just shot a first thoughts with the new Nikon VR. It is much better than the old kit lenses, and probably a step above the Pentax 18-55 original as well (though the II lens from Pentax brings things closer). Haven't tried Canon's new IS kit yet, but hopefully it will also be an improvement.

The one thing that I disliked about the Nikon VR lens remains the focusing ring travel: the entire distance from minimum focus to infinity can't be more than about 30 degrees of rotation. It's no worse than the old kit lenses, and it makes for some fast AF, but it's a bear to manually focus correctly. The Pentax, and even the old Canon, do a bit better in this area. How much this matters, though, depends on whether you ever use MF - for snapshooting, I wouldn't worry much about it.

dr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.