Pentax K200D vs. Canon Digital Rebel XSi vs. Nikon D60

Discussion in 'Photography' started by usapatriot, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

I just saw some Canon 450D ISO 1600 shots and a few other shots at different ISO's and many people seem to think the same thing.

ISO 1600 are quite noisy, possibly as noisy as ISO 3200 on the Canon EOS 30D and definitely noisier than the Canon 400D.

Something I didn't notice myself but heard others saying was that overall ISO performance was not that good compared to past Digital Rebel generations.

Darn megapixel war.

2. AaronM

AaronM News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Just a thought having played with all but the Nikon now. The kit lens on the Sonys is just as flimsy as that with the XSi, even the focus ring feels similar. The advantage to the Canon there is, you can save $100 and not buy the lens, I've not seen a Sony non-kit.

I thought the Pentax was unpleasent to use, the balance was off, and the handgrip dug into my hand oddly. In both cases, it was a problem I hadn't had with the 10d, so I'm chalking it up to redesigns needed to handle the AA batteries(another thing I don't like)

No conclusion here, just some thoughts

3. Glasstream15

Glasstream15 Active Member

Sony, as a corporation, has quality problems. There was a time when "SONY" on a product meant it was about the best you could get. But Sony got into a bit too much innovation and too much proprietary stuff like memory sticks. And then they got cocky about quality and bought into "6 Sigma". And went right in the toilet. And, to my knowledge, they have not even attemted to turn around.

Now I know the Sony DSLRs are a relatively new and somewhat separate division, all based on the purchase of Konica/Minolta, but it's still Sony. And they do have weird problems that pop up in strange ways. I have not, to date, heard much negative about the Sony camera failure rates, very low because they have a very low market penetration, but I will always be leary of anything that says Sony anywhere on it.

And BTW, the Sony Vaio computers, especially laptops, despite incredibly high prices, are having a very bad time with reliability. It's a Sony, what more needs to be said other than Buyer Beware.

4. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

I think Sony just got into too many tech markets and therefore now struggles to make quality over quantity.

5. mojado818

mojado818 New Member

Though Pentax seems to be quite convenient, it still doesn't appeal to me. For me it would have to be between the d60 and xsi. So which of the two would y'all buy?

6. Glasstream15

Glasstream15 Active Member

I am a Canon fan. Others are Nikon fans. They are both at the top of the food chain. Quality, innovation, features, etc., are dead even. Sorta. Canon gets ahead for 3 or 4 months and Nikon gets back, then Canon, then Nikon.

Hold them in your hands. Canon feels good to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.