Pentax K20D ratings ~ 4.5 - 5.0

Discussion in 'Pentax' started by karl2, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karl2

karl2 Member

My reasons for rating this camera as 4.5/5.0 ---classification.

1. construction: very well built - sturdy body. Buttons at in areas that are easy to reach. The screen is bold and colourful.

2. features: nicely presented - as what is to be found on a pro series SLR camera.

3. Image quality: This is where I honestly have to say - I'm taken! I have a Nikon D300 and I have to say that this Pentax K20D camera not only performs better in some cases than the D300 in terms of noise- but the colours on the Pentax are brighter and bolder too. Amazing... you'll just have to go and and see for yourselves. Remarkable.... and eye opening!

Value for money....

Here is a great pleace to find more about Pentax K20D:
    http://www.infoborder.com/Digital_Cameras/Pentax/k20d.php

You can't beat the price for the quality... not at all!

2. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

The K20D is an excellent camera, I own the K200D, the K20D's sibling and I love it. Excellent camera and a good alternative to the Nikon D60 and Canon Digital Rebel XSi.

Shame not too many people know about Pentax.

3. Nautilus

Nautilus Well-Known Member

Was checking out the Pentax K20D earlier today, c/w smc PENTAX DA 18mm – 55mm F3.5 – 5.6AL II Lens.

Very tempted.

Btw, what other lens do you recommend with the K20D ? I like to take pictures of Sceneries, Buildings and Beach.

4. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

The kit lens is already a very nice lens and should keep you busy for a while with its capabilities.

Although you may want to have a look at the DA 16-45mm f/4 lens for its increased sharpness and constant f/4 aperture. The Pentax DA* 50-125mm f/2.8 lens is also a great telephoto lens. If you want a prime lens, nearly all Pentax primes are excellent lenses. You would probably want to have a look at the DA 40mm and DA 70mm pancake lenses.

5. Nautilus

Nautilus Well-Known Member

Thank you for the reply, off to the Camera shop in a couple of hours. Will play with it again. Weird, they don't carry the K200D, i don't know why. I am from Asia.

6. Nicky2007

Nicky2007 Well-Known Member

I managed to get my hands on a K20D last week for a test drive. And here are my first impressions of this wonderful camera.

1. It's a heavy camera. I'm the old-school kind of photographer. The camera feels like a Leica R or a Contax RTS. This really feels good ;)
    2. The LCD panel on the top right-hand side is most useful. Correct me if I'm wrong - only the top line of Nikon & Canon cameras have a similar feature. This is most useful for a guy like me who's not inclined to switch on the LCD monitor unless I'm checking out the histograms/graph displays. I prefer to take most of my shots in manual mode. So a last minute glance on the LCD panel is sufficient for me to ensure that I've got the basic settings right before I press the button.
    3. There's a grip for your right thumb located next to the navigation buttons. Considering the weight of the camera, this is useful in holding the camera steady if you're not using a tripod.
    4. The view finder is not cluttered with information. I've seen cameras with bits & pieces of information posted on all 4 corners of the view finder. All the basic information are located at the bottom, outside of the frame. I can really see the object in the frame clearly. The view finder is the cleanest I've ever seen for a long time.
    5. The camera is well sealed all round. It takes a lot of weight off my shoulders as I do enjoy nature photography. This means misty mornings in the forests or mountains. Add a B+W UV filter onto the lens & this camera is a dream.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.