Pentax K20D Review

Discussion in 'Digital Camera News' started by Jerry Jackson, Mar 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

Awesome, alright, thanks for clearing that up.

I am really starting to like the K20D.

2. aCIDfire

aCIDfire New Member

2JerryJ: Hi, I´d like to ask which image tone you use on your K10D for most of the shots if you said that the "default" bright is not perfect for most
    of situations.

3. Jerry Jackson

Jerry Jackson Administrator News/Review Writer

In my previous experience with Pentax DSLRs (*ist DL, K100D Super, and K10D) I've found the "bright" image tone to have slightly over-saturated colors, too much contrast, and a bit of a negative impact on noise. If I shoot JPEGs I usually use "natural" on my other Pentax bodies (including the K10D).

However, I found the difference between bright and natural on the K20D to be so minor that I left it in "bright" for all of the photos in this review (unless otherwise indicated). I also made that decision since that's how images will look "out of the box."

If you shoot in RAW there is no difference because it's the RAW editor that dictates those subtle changes in tone. RAW is, like the name suggests, just a straight dump of the data off of the image sensor without any processing applied to it.

4. jetstar

jetstar Well-Known Member

Superb review Jerry! I really like the K20D...really awesome camera!

5. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

In every respect but the resolution (which really isn't a big deal for most users anyway), the D200 is a better match-up for the K20D in many ways.

But then again, the K10 offers almost identical performance to the K20, and while it gives up a step or two to the D200 in the features and specs department, it's also (again) $500 cheaper than the D200.

Just stirring the pot a bit... :)

dr

6. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Point taken, and very true. Still, I would argue that there are reasons to choose Pentax (as there are to choose Nikon, Canon, Sony, or Olympus) that aren't merely priced based: Pentax makes some of the best primes I've ever shot, I like their stone simple interface (meets my "get out of the way and let me take some *&%$ pictures" criteria), I've always found their equipment to be rugged and reliable, and (not to open up the stabilized lens versus stabilized sensor debate, but...) I appreciate in-body IS as well.

That said, coming from a D2x work kit and a D200 backup body, I won't argue that it's a handsome article that does a little more than the Pentax. Given that a skilled user will have no trouble getting great shots out of either setup, it really does all depend on individual needs and preferences.

dr

7. pepopons

pepopons New Member

I have been trying this equipment with sigma lenses, a 18-50 and a 70-300 and the results have been quite impressive. My review is not a technical review, is a user review in the sense of how do I feel using this camera.

The overall feeling has been very, very good!!

read it at FotoTalleres.es

Thanks.
    Pedro Pons

8. EnricM

EnricM New Member

Cameras don't 'blow highlights', users do.

What you call 'blown highlight' is what we would call overexposing.

The best way to avoid overexposing is learning how to use your camera and lens properly: shutter speed, aperture etc.

I am able to use a primitive camera (such as the *ist DL2) shoot directly at the sun and not overexpose at all... well, I have some background and a full bag of tricks (such as circular polarization filteres, deep red or medium density filters).

Summing up what I said: The camera does not blow anything, it's the user.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.