Pentax Optio T20 - Buyer Beware

Discussion in 'Pentax' started by cindysailor, Feb 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cindysailor

cindysailor New Member

I purchased the Optio T20 on 11/28/06 from e-tailer Wild Digital. A call from their sale department upgraded the sale price from $239 to $400, which would include extra battery, starter kit & 3 year extended warranty. Within the first week the lens of the camera got stuck in the out position and the camera froze up. I resolved this by removing and reinserting the battery. On day 28, the same thing happened. This time the battery trick did not work. I sent the camera (double boxed and wrapped in bubble wrap and popcorn) to Mack Camera - who sent it back to Pentax. Yesterday I received a notice that unless I sent them another $185, they would send me back the camera unrepaired and uninsured. All three companies are refusing to fix the camera saying it was damage due to impact. In investigating this camera on several digital camera websites, I am seeing that this type of problem is common with other Pentax Optio models. I did not drop or cause any other type of impact to the camera during the 28 days it was in my possession. Now I am out $400 and still don't have a working camera. If you know of any recourse, please let me know.

2. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

Man, sorry to hear about your situation. Your best bet now is probably to see if you can get some resolution through the Better Business Bureau, although I'm not sure who you should file a complaint against - the vendor, the warranty company, or Pentax. Also, do your best to document the other cases that you're seeing regarding the Optio models.

Here's a link to the BBB: http://www.bbb.org/

3. cindysailor

cindysailor New Member

Thanks Ben. Will do.

4. alternateimpact

alternateimpact New Member

I am experiencing the same issues to. My wife an I bought our T20 on December 31, 2006. at a birthday party thew lens jammed when I turned the power off after taking a photo. the power then shut off with the lens extended, and stayed that way. on April 10, I returned to Visions Electronics (where I purchased it from) and they sent it off Pentax Canada. as of yetastarday I hadn't heard anythinbg from either Visions, or Pentax. I went to Visions to find out what was going on, and they said theat Pentax hadn't contacted them either. they phone Pentax, who infomed them the 3 weeks earlier, they had determined that the camera had sustained "impact damage", and that it required a new lens system costing $290.00, at my own ewxpense (which coincidently is exactly what the camera is selling for right now). The store refuse to rectify the situation, except to sell me a new camera. I am very dissapointed in both the seller who could help me by giving me credit towards a new camera (different brand), and to quit doing buisness with Pentax who dosnt seem to have the best interest of there retailers, and customers in mind.

As of 20 minutes ago, I left a message with Pentax Canada, allowing them to rectify this situatuation the right way, or I will proceed with a call to BBB, and will do my best to get the word out via the internet to avoid purchasing Pentax products.

As for now....My wife and I are going on our first big trip together since getting married to Montreal, Toronto, and New York...but we wont be able to capture the memories on our camera that we paid over 400 dollars for.

Thanks Pentax,
    your products and service are fantastic:(

5. bTaryag

bTaryag Well-Known Member

If you paid using a credit card, you can try fighting the charges, by claiming that the camera was defective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.