Pentax Q Macro Lens Alternative

Discussion in 'Pentax' started by gennelman, Feb 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gennelman

gennelman New Member

Hi,

I am a Pentax Q user and looking to get some macro capabilities for food photography.

I tried doing research but the ones that I found require buying an expensive K-Q adapter and an expensive Macro lens.

Do any of you know of any cheaper alternative?

Maybe a cheaper adapter and lens? Doesn't have to be Pentax.

Have you guys heard of extension tubes? Any idea of one that I can use for my Q?

Salamat

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

An adapter and macro lens will be expensive, even if you purchase a brand other than Pentax (such as Tamron). It will also add considerable bulk to your Pentax Q, which defeats the main reason for owning such a camera - its small size. You can probably purchase an extension tube which will work with the Q but it will also increase the camera's bulk. Also extension tubes tend to reduce the amount of light available for the photo.

One of the lenses Pentax makes for the Q is the 01 standard prime, which is a good, very fast lens which will focus as close as about 7 inches. That should enable you to get some good food shots, which you can crop if you need more of a close-up. The 01 standard prime is reasonably priced and very small, so it fits in well with your Q.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  3. gennelman

gennelman New Member

Thank you!

I already have the prime lens for the Q and want to take it up a notch that's why I'm looking at macro lenses.

But I'll look into what you said. Maybe you're right, the prime lens will do just fine.

Salamat!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.