Pentax S5z

Discussion in 'Pentax' started by sungfra, Dec 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sungfra

sungfra Member

Decided to give this site a try after surfing on SmartWatch reviews for a while. For some reason, the 2 are not connected since I have to register again.
    Anyway, just bought the new Pentax S5z for the holidays. Nice small metal body with big 2.5 LCD. Small internal memory but accept the more popular SD card. Pretty good picture quality. Only complaints so far are:
    - Weaker than expected flash,
    - Camera lag,
    - Proprietary battery instead of AA,
    - LCD is not crystal clear and bascially useless under the sun
    I will still recommend it if you can find it for a good price. Any comments?

2. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

We've decided to keep forums seperate for the entire family of sites, so I apologize for you having to register again. Luckily it's an easy process.

Thanks for your comments about the Pentax, it's always helpful for readers to see what their fellow readers think (and not just what they can read in a review). If you didn't see the review that we did, check it out here:
    http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=2622

By "camera lag" do you mean shutter lag or the time to cycle between shots?

3. sungfra

sungfra Member

Yes, it is a relatively easy process to register again. I am lucky that I could pick the same user ID. It will be a bigger pain if I have to remember 2 diff IDs.
    And yes, I have read your review of the camera. I must say it is one of the better review out there. That is the reason I decided to give this site a try since I can not locate a good DC forum. Yes, it is shutter lag I was referring to. Sorry for not being specific and wish your site much success.

4. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

Thanks for the well wishes and we're glad you found us!

Shutter lag has always been an issue with point and shoot digital cameras. However, things are getting much better. Faster processors allow quicker focus and exposure lock to decrease the lag. Do you depress the shutter halfway to get a focus luck before fully depressing? That will minimize a lot of the shutter lag that happens when you do the full press at one time (before the camera focuses and calculates exposure).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.