Pentax W90

Discussion in 'Pentax' started by fermain, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fermain

fermain Member

Hi there................bought a W90 some months ago as for underwater use. However on holiday recently we found that there were times when the screen appeared to go blank and taking pictures underwater at times were impossible because the image on the LCD screen could not be seen. Has anyone else had this problem. Pentax say the camera is OK but we know it is NOT !!! Can any one help !!!!.....Thanks

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Try contacting Pentax.

3. fermain

fermain Member

Thanks Andy,..........That will be the next step but wondered if others had the same problem !!! Ray ( Fermain)

4. Nostalgic Memories

Nostalgic Memories New Member

Have had my W90 for nine months and use it every time I go underwater/snorkel etc. Never had that problem. Do you check the covers to the battery and USB connections once in a while to see if the seal is good, or positioned correctly? and do you set the controls on the correct underwater settings, either underwater still or video before entering the water? Very important
    If you do get in contact with Pentax, there is something wrong with your cam.
    I love this little point and shoot, use it whenever I can't use my DSLR

5. fermain

fermain Member

Thank you for the helpful feedback and am in contact with Pentax. We have been doing underwater work for some four years so we know the need to give special attention to the seals and yes we set BEFORE going into the water. Am interested to know how you get on with using the screen underwater in normal sunny conditions. Our experience in Mexico of seeing total screen wipe out was not under excessive bright light. I too am of the view that there is a camera fault, unfortunately Pentax do not take the camera snorkeling !!!!!!! when they test it. Am awaiting formal response from Pentax, their service agents in the UK, namely Johnson's photographic maintain that there is no fault !!!. I cannot see anyone else having this problem in fact some of the reviews compliment the camera on the brightness of the screen under bright conditions, this again points to a camera defect. Thanks again for you comments

Ray ( Fermain)

6. Nostalgic Memories

Sorry just wanted to insure the cam had been used correctly.
    As I said never had the issue, in fact I'm one who raves about this little cam. I've shot with a few others with bad results, I have not had a blackout or white out of the screen, to date. I purchased this cam primarily for underwater use and to have handy at all times when my DSLR isn't practical. Use it extensively without complaint. Great results with still and video.
    A few of my shots can be seen on my FaceBook if you're a member.
    Or here's a diving image of mine,
    [​IMG]

Stick to your guns with Pentax and I'm sure they will stand by their product. It has a good rep and following.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  7. fermain

fermain Member

Thanks again for your help which confirms to me that there is a camera problem the shot of the turtle is superb. It was while looking for turtles in Mexico that we had the screen problem and you pic looks in much brighter conditions than we were....Thanks again....Have a good day !!

Fermain.

8. Nostalgic Memories

thanks, the darker images actually turn out better. I put this up since it was bright, just wanted to show the quality of the shots in a rough element. This was taken into the light above
    Good luck getting your cam issue resolved

9. fermain

fermain Member

HI There..........got the W90 back from Pentax this week, they replaced the PCB board and glad to say we tried it out with the autumn colors yesterday with great results !!!! Like our health one knows when one's camera is not right !!!!! Thanks for your support and happy snorkeling, we are returning to Egypt in February and Mexico next May.

Thanks and Regards.......................Ray

10. Nostalgic Memories

Glad to hear you got the issues resolved. Took awhile but glad Pentax fixed your cam. Enjoy it and please submit some of the final product.
    You're very welcome. Lea

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.