Photo Management/Organization Software, Looking for Recommendations

Discussion in 'Software' started by jwerner74, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwerner74

jwerner74 New Member

I piggybacked this question onto a "what camera should I buy?" question in that forum, but wanted to pose it in greater detail here in this forum, so here goes:

I've used two different programs over the years for transferring and syncing images from my camera (I prefer to use the software for the inherent organization and synchronization of the files, and also to save wear & tear from opening up the battery door to remove the memory card): Kodak Easyshare since about 2005, and Nikon ViewNX 2 for about the last month or so, and there are some features exclusive (at least as far as I can tell) to each of them that I really like, and I was wondering if there is any program out there that combines all of the features I am about to list.

Things I like from Easyshare:

The program features a "tray" that allows me drag & drop pictures onto to stage them for upload to Facebook, ordering prints, or other such operations. Saves on having to hold down the control key while selecting pictures, and possibly screwing up the selection process if you accidentally let go of the control key.

Allows you to bring in photos from sources other than just the camera: A CD of images, a USB stick, SD cards from other cameras, even files that are on the local hard drive, but not already indexed in the Easyshare collection. With ViewNX2, I can't seem to get it to bring in images from any source other than the card that was in my camera.

Things I like from ViewNX2:

Allows me to set an option to automatically create a backup copy of images as I transfer them, such as to a portable hard drive.

Gives me some flexibility on the naming convention of the transferred images & folders, including the ability to put the images into folders that are named with the date the images were shot, rather than just creating one folder that is named with the date the images are transferred.

These two features of View NX2 are really important to me, which is why I am so bummed that I can't seem to get it to bring in files from sources other than the SD card that was in my Nikon camera. I could almost live without the "tray" feature if NX2 could bring in pictures from all sources.

I'm by no means an expert on how these programs operate "under the hood", but it does appear to me that they go about their business in very different ways. Easyshare does not seem to have any visibility to image files that are outside of the albums that have been explicitly imported & indexed by the program, while ViewNX2 seems to be somewhat of a glorified version of Windows Explorer with photo editing features, as it allows me to browse all the folders on my computer, and will show me any pictures or movie files contained in said folders. However, it must also be doing something to keep track of the files that already exist on the OS, since it will only transfer new images from the SD card that was in the camera if I initiate a transfer, and the card contains a mix of new and previously imported pictures.

Any suggestions you can give on a program that is the best of both worlds (if such an animal exists) would be much appreciated.

2. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

ACDsee does most of that. I have ACDsee14, which was just replaced by ACDsee15. From the ADCsee web site you can download a trial copy.

Kelly Cook

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.