Photoshop alternatives

Discussion in 'Photography' started by ignatiusjk, Apr 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ignatiusjk

ignatiusjk Well-Known Member

I'm new to the whole digital thing but was wondering if their is something else out there to use other than Photoshop.What's the easiest to use?

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

3. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

JPG or RAW? All RAW editors can also be used for JPG images. Besides Photoshop, Adobe also has Lightroom, which is built around the scheme of "presets". These are tone treatments you can create, label, and save for repeated use across many images. Photoshop emphasizes "actions", which are specialized editing modules that can be bought from other companies and plugged into Photoshop. And Adobe has Elements, which is primarily for JPG images. Elements can take in RAW images, but you have to let Elements convert them to 8-bit before the more advanced Elements tools can be applied. Those tools are nearly as advanced as the ones in Photoshop. But there are very few actions for Elements.

Other RAW editors include ACDSee Photo Editor, Aperture (Apple only), Capture One, and GIMP. However these are not nearly as widely used as the 3 Adobe editors, so support is harder to find.

Most JPG editors can now import RAW images, they just must immediately convert them to 8-bit to do anything with them.

Popular JPG editors that are free downloads include Faststone, Irfanview, and Picasa.

New cameras usually come with a editor on a disk. These are fine for basic editing. If you are just starting out, I would suggest staying with these. Leave the complicated RAW editors for later.

Kelly Cook
    (ACDSee, Digital Photo Professional (Canon), Elements, Lightroom)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  4. ignatiusjk

Are any of these "other" versions better than PS.I'm currently using PS 3.

5. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Not really. Of course some folks will just be happier using Capture One, or whatever, instead of PS. But that is a personal preference.

The most sophisticated tools for image editing are color replacement, gradients, layers, and masking. If you are not using any of those particular tools, then stick with what you have. How these tools for the latest versions of PS, Capture One, and ACDSee Pro compare to the old PS3, I don't know. I'm happy with these tools for JPG images with my Elements and Lightroom.

Kelly

6. ignatiusjk

I generally shoot JPEG.

7. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

For most JPG shooters, PS is overkill. You may find the editor shipped with your camera to be easier to live with.

Kelly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.