photoshop wont open my camera images?

Discussion in 'Software' started by citre, Jan 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. citre

citre New Member

I just got a laptop with Vista and I've installed Adobe Photoshop Cs3
    Extended on it. I have a Nikon Coolpix S200 and I am trying to open pictures
    from it, but I always get an error message that reads:

Could not complete the request because it is not the right kind of document.

I am trying to open the files through PS. I go to file, open, browse, and
    then I click on my camera and open the folder with the pictures. I don't want
    to transfer all the photos over from my camera because I have over 1000 pix.
    I just want to be able to go onto my camera and pick the one picture I want.

However, if I am in explorer, and if I'm looking at my camera folder
    contents, I can right click the photo I want and select "Open with" and pick
    photoshop, and it will open no problem. I don't understand. This works, but I
    really prefer the other method.

Does it have something to do with my camera, or is this just want of the
    peeves of Vista? I do not have this problem on my desktop, so I'm pretty sure
    that its something to do with Vista...

2. Trevor

Trevor New Member

I just attempted to do the same with my Canon Powershot SD1000 (open Photoshop, navigate to camera, etc.), and it said it was the wrong kind of document. It seems that it's not an issue with Vista, as I'm running XP, nor due to your camera. It's likely that you're just not allowed to edit the photos while on your camera. It's certainly not the file type, as you can check this while right clicking the photo, then going to properties (mine are all JPEG).

If you drag a photo to your desktop, simply resize it, then transfer it back to your photo folder on your SD card, the camera will not be able to read it. What you should just do is transfer the photos you wish to edit to your computer. If you have a SD card reader, you can create a new folder on the memory card outside of the one that your camera saves the photos to after capturing them. The camera will not be aware of this folder, and will simply ignore it. After editing the photos, just transfer them to this new folder and you'll have them wherever you go.

3. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Wish I could give you a technical answer here, but as Trevor suggests this is just something that Photoshop does and has done back through at least CS2, I believe.

dr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.