Please help me choose a camera!

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by Yung, Jul 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yung

Yung Member

Hi!

I have a Canon T2i and wish to upgrade. I have been looking at the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3, which I really love the image quality of, but I'm concerned it will be too big and heavy.
    My preferences:

Budget
    I'm thinking of paying around $1000 dollars for the body.

Size
    I love the feel and stability of holding a big DSLR body, but in a few months I will be backpack travelling for more than half a year, and I'm therefore forced to consider size and weight relevant factors.

I was looking into mirrorless cameras when I fell in love with the GH3, which to my great disappointment turned out to be even heavier than the DSLR I own today. Are there any smaller/lighter mirrorless cameras in the same price range that can compare to the detail and image quality of the GH3? If not, quality is first priority.

Features
    I prefer shooting in Manual mode, so it is a big plus if there are quick and easy ways to tune the ISO, shutter speed and aperture.
    I'm not yet decided on what kind of lens I want. I want the pictures to be detail rich.

General Usage
    I will mainly use my camera for filming. I will not be making big prints of my photos. The camera does not necessarily have to be good in low light, but it's a plus if it's at least decent.

Thank you!!

2. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

There are smaller Panasonics to consider, the GM1 and GX7.

Kelly

3. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 has been getting great reviews. It's a small, lightweight mirrorless camera with a 4/3 sensor and takes excellent stills and good looking videos. The Sony A6000 is even smaller and lighter weight than the Olympus and similar in quality. There's also the Sony RX100 (or RX100 II), which does not permit you to change lenses, but has exceptional image and video quality for a pocket-sized camera.

4. Yung

Yung Member

Thank you for great advices! I really like both the Gx7 and the A6000, but I think I might throw away my photography ambitions and my accessible-manual-settings-preference and go for the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema, as it's on sale for nearly half its original price right now, and it has everything I want quality-wise. Thanks a lot though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.