Please help!!

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by sb0609, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sb0609

sb0609 Member

Hello

I am planning to buy a new digital camera, compact, in the price range of $150-$200. i had a canon A 530 previously. i mostly shoot my 5-yr-old, indoors usually and use the video recording a lot.

I would like a simple point and shoot with not too many adjustments. the picture quality should be good. i like canon and sony cameras.

Please help me with this. i have already sold my other camera and would like to buy a new one as soon as possible.

Thanks for helping!!:)

2. sb0609

sb0609 Member

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.

below $200

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?

preferably small, but it does not matter

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?

around 8 MP

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x)

standard- may be

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)?

no

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?

for taking pic of my 5-yr-old, indoors mostly, low light and video

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?

no

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?

yes

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?

yes

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?

like canon or sony or panasonic

Are there particular models you already have in mind?

no

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)

image stabilization

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  3. lottdod_1999

lottdod_1999 Active Member

Hi
    After doing MUCH MUCH research (and finding that cameras $50 more looked worse), doing comparison shots from sample photos from stevesdigicams (he does the same shots so you can compare), and trying them all out in the stores, I picked the Canon SD1200. Very quick and great image quality.
    Between Canon and Sony go Canon since they use SD like every sane company in the industry.

4. sb0609

sb0609 Member

Thanks for your reply. i really appreciate it.

i dont really know the technicalities in using a camera and i dont think i plan to learn also. i am not serious abt photography, just want to capture the good moments in life. so most imp thing is pic quality for me.

my cousin had a sony steadyshot w170 and her pic were good and good colors also. whereas my previous canon didnt give me such good colors!!! (maybe cos i didnt know how to use a camera!!) but the pic were a bit soft. that is how sony came in to my fav list. i would like to know regd the sony steady shot series.

5. lottdod_1999

lottdod_1999 Active Member

Well the most important part of the camera body is the sensor, not the megapixels for example. The SD1200 is really new and has a digic 4 processor/sensor (not sure what it is really) that they have in higher end p&S canons.
    I like Sony too but everyone I talked to says to stay away from them.

6. sb0609

sb0609 Member

thank u so much for helping me make up my mind.

7. sb0609

sb0609 Member

Help!

I would like to know which is better between Panasonic FS7, LS85, LZ6, SONY W series, and Canon A590?

What i am looking for is good pic quality, 7-8 MP, good colors, good video, and good pic in low light also. please help.

8. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

I thought you had settled on the Canon SD1200is?

Based on your previous posts, I recommend the Panasonic FS7. The LS85 is OK but not as good as the FS7. The Panasonic LZ6 is no longer being made - it was released in 2007. The Canon A590is is a good camera but it's no longer being made as well. The Sony W series covers several cameras which range from $180 through $230. The W220 is the only one within your price range. While the W220 is a good camera, the FS7 seems superior overall, especially with regard to picture quality.

9. sb0609

sb0609 Member

i had, but then once i am on the net, the job becomes even more difficult. u get to read a lot of reviews, comments, and much more which makes u think again.

and i did read good reviews about FS7, but then again i wanted to know for sure that of the 4 this is the best option.

thank you.

10. sb0609

sb0609 Member

I am here again.

I tried to get FS7 at a panasonic outlet, but sadly enough they did not have it. they did not have most of the Panasonic models which made me rethink about my choice.
    I would like to know if there are any cameras with the specs, around 8 MP, good pic quality (even in low light), good video, and price range below $200.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.