Please Help!!!

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by LLPimpA, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LLPimpA

LLPimpA New Member

I've never really owned a digital camera and have even less knowledge of them. I recently began searching for a digital point-and-shoot camera (8 MP or above) to bring with me to college. My price range is below $200 (preferably on amazon.com because i have credit). I want a camera that takes great, good quality pictures (1st priority), good quality and good fps videos (2nd priority), and nice optical zoom (3rd priority). The camera is going to be used mainly for still pictures and feature-film-like videos (mostly longer than 10 mins) that will be posted on the internet.

Flash reload speed, shutter speed, etc. are not of much concern although i would like for them to be the best that they can be for the camera priorities that I want (see: above). Here are of the few features i could use: Image stabilization (really want), red-eye removal (i only want if the camera has serious red-eye problems). If there are any other suggestions for features, camera effects, etc, that you think i could use or would like...please don't hesitate to say so.

The cameras that I have been looking at so far include the Canon Powershot a720, the Panasonic DMC-LS80K and the Canon SD1100. If you could find an SLR for under $200 (if one exists) with the things I need, that would be great, too. Early thanks for your help!

2. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Well-Known Member

3. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

I may be biased, but I'm a big fan of the Canon A720IS. It has very good picture quality in good light, OK in dimmer light, good video capabilities, manual controls, optical image stabilization and many options. The Panasonic LS80 and Canon SD1100 will not give you the zoom or the manual options of the A720IS. The Panasonic LZ8 that Tinderbox mentioned is a cheaper alternative to the A720IS, but I haven't had any personal experience with it to know if it's as good as the A720IS.

If you decide to buy the A720IS or LZ8, be sure to get good rechargeable AA batteries (I use Sanyo Eneloops, which don't lose their power when not used) and a large SD card (at least 4GB) for taking lengthy videos.

Edit - SLR's do not have video capabilities and cost much more than $200 (at least $450 for the cheapest body/lens combination).

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  4. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Well-Known Member

5. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Active Member

I don't have experience with the Canon mentioned above, but I've been very impressed with my LZ8 particularly the video performance. It's fairly small, has a ton of features, excellent lens. It has slightly wider angle than many compact point and shoot cameras and 5x optical (can stretch to about 8x in extra optical mode). I think you can find them online for around $150 US dollars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.