please recommend camera for great tattoo photos/close-ups

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by gboetes, Nov 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gboetes

gboetes New Member

Help-
    My husband is a tattoo artist and needs a new camera. He shoots up-close (macro?) pics of his work and needs great detail-preferably no flash because it seems to cause glare. He doesn't need other features such as video, zoom...but will need to blow the pics up to 8X10 max. I would like to spend between $200-$600. Thanks for any advise!!

2. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

Since the flash causes too much glare, look for a camera that does well in low-light. A compact camera that does really well in lowlight is the Fujifilm Finepix F30.

Since you're not using a flash and lighting may not be bright enough, you'll probably have to increase the sensitivity (ISO) of the camera in order to a fast enough shutter speed to hand-hold the camera. When ISO is increased, noise (graininess) increases. The Fujifilm handles the increased ISO well - better than most compact digital cameras.

3. Quikster

Quikster Well-Known Member

another solution you can use to complement a camera with good ISO levels is get a few workshop lights from home depot and shine them at the tattoo from different angles this should give you a more even lighting with out the glare of a flash.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.