Point and Shoot Cameras?

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by dragonfly11m, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dragonfly11m

dragonfly11m Member

I currently own a Canon Rebel Xsi but am looking to buy a point and shoot camera because I want something more compact and simpler to use at certain times. Can anyone recommend to me a few? There are a ton to choose from and it's a little overwhelming trying to decide what's the best out there right now? Thanks in advance.

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Yes, there are scores of point and shoot cameras available, most of which are good products. But you're not going to be happy with a camera unless it meets your specific needs.

That's why we urge people who would like a camera recommendation to fill out the "Which Camera Should I Buy" FAQ in this section. Copy and paste the FAQ and answer the questions and we'll have a basis to narrow things down so we can recommend a camera that would be good for you.

3. dragonfly11m

dragonfly11m Member

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? <$300
    Size

* What size camera are you looking for? No preference in size

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you? 10

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x)? STANDARD

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10) 10

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)? NO

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for? Family pics, indoor & outdoor use

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? No

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? Yes

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? Yes, a few

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate? Sony, Canon, Nikon

Are there particular models you already have in mind? Canon PowerShot SD 780IS... for no particular reason... gets pretty decent reviews

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
    NO

4. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

The SD780 IS is an older version which is no longer being produced (though you may still be able to find one). Canon has made more recent versions of the camera, the SD940 IS, the SD1400 IS and the current version, the Elph 300 HS. I recently reviewed the Elph 300 HS and I really like it. Here's the link to the review:
    Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS Review

5. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.