Portable Lighting Center Hotspot Problem

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by Alex Ethridge, Jun 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Member

I've purchased a couple of inexpensive, LED, shoe-mounted lights for my camcorder and they produce a center hotspot. I've also tried a few in local camera stores that have the same problem. Can someone recommend such a light that is capable of more even lighting across the frame?

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

What model are you currently using?

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Member

Thanks for the reply.

I was so displeased with the first two I bought that I relegated them to a junk box in my basement (among many junk boxes) and I don't remember the models. I purchased a Sunpak VL-LED-36-BR at Walmart last night that has what looks like a unique feature of being able to turn the three LED bars slightly left and right, which may solve the hotspot problem; but, it is a very direct, very bright light that causes people to squint. Also, the diffuser and the soft-tone color correction filter mentioned in the Amazon ad did not come with the one I got at Walmart

I have looked for a hot-shoe bracket that would allow me to turn that light (or any other) straight up for indirect lighting; but, so far, I haven't found one.

I did still photography professionally for many years back in the pre-digital days and, frankly, I am surprised at this hot-spot problem that is seemingly ignored by every manufacturer. In still photography, even the cheapest of flashes produce even lighting. Not so with continuous video lighting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.