powershot G9 techniques anyone?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by roughpastels, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roughpastels

roughpastels Member

hi there, i'm a graphic artist and i recently purchased a G9 to take pictures of my graphic work. i usually take pics while the cam is on a tripod and i photograph flat pieces of art that are hanging on the wall. i need to get the whole shot of the work hanging on the wall and i'm asking if anyone knows a proper setting to shoot a flat square or rectangle without a bowing effect? i cannot crop to the image because i need to reflect how the piece hangs on the wall. i know i can buy an lens conversion kit but i have no idea what lens would create a flattening effect and not make a square or rectangle bow. is there a setting on the cam that will lessen this bowing effect? or possibly a lens attachment that will do this?

2. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Super Moderator/Reviewer News/Review Writer

It sounds to me you are experience trouble with the lens (distortion). I understand you need to have the entire image, but trying moving around and using different zooms to see if it gets better or worse.

3. roughpastels

roughpastels Member

i've tried so many angles, heights, zoom settings, etc. i still get some form of distortion and bowing. before the G9, i had a ricoh GR digital, which was of course even worse because of the fixed wide angle so i just ended up using the ricoh for a street shooter. there has to be some sort of filter that will lessen the lens distortion and flatten the subject. thanks so much for replying caleb, much appreciated!

4. CalebSchmerge

I highly doubt there is a magic lens attachment or filter that will fix the distortion. You could try fixing them on a computer, which works well for many people. Do you get a lot of noticable distortion in normal pictures? If you do then you might have a lemon of a camera. I don't remember hearing that the G9 was bad with distortion, so I am a bit surprised.

5. roughpastels

roughpastels Member

no, not at all, this is normal bowing distortion when shooting a perfectly flat square or rectangular piece of paper or painting pinned to the wall. i've owned many cameras, and they all do they same thing...it's just the nature and shape of a camera lens. one would only notice this drastically if they try to photograph a black perfect square or rectangular sheet of paper from straight on. i've become used to fixing this in photoshop but i was looking for a quicker solution. thanks for your suggestion! otherwise the G9 lives up to it's reviews...both bad and good. it's a tank of a little camera with many features but not worth the price tag.

6. CalebSchmerge

I'm guessing this is just because of the point and shoot lens issues. I could be wrong, but I know that distortion isn't just a fact of life.

7. roughpastels

roughpastels Member

i don't want to mislead you, it's not GOD AWFUL distortion. i just cant get the square in the frame properly without it bowing a bit. you could be right about the point and shoot lens. i'm curious what about happen if you tried this with a dslr.

8. CalebSchmerge

How big are the things you are taking pictures of? I can try with my D70, but I don't have too many square things on walls to take pictures of.

9. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

Would you mind posting some samples?

10. roughpastels

roughpastels Member

i make drawings and prints that are roughly in the 30"x40" range. i'd love to hear about your results since the D70 was a camera i was most certainly interested in. let me know what you discover!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.