Preferred photo organizing software

Discussion in 'Software' started by Magellan, Mar 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magellan

Magellan Member

I am currently using Canon Zoom browser for my digital photos. What are other people using, and how do you like it?

2. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

I usually just use the image viewer built in to Windows XP. If I need to do any manipulation I use Macromedia Fireworks MX. (I know, kind of lame...)

I haven't tried the Zoom browser, but I think I'll check it out.

I was also planning to check out Picassa Photo Organizer that Google has been pushing recently. Anyone play with it yet?

3. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I actually hated the Canon software that came with our S40, but that was 2 years ago. I haven't tried Picassa 2 yet, but I think I need to, my photo editing skills border on suck, so if there's a simple pakage to help me, I'm all for it.

4. arla

arla Active Member

Well, for quick fixing/viewing I use Photo Album (think I have 5, maybe 4, can't recall) but mostly I just organize by folders and titles, I try to rename every image I take to something meaningful normally in the form

USA.CA.San_Francisco.Golden_Gate_Bridge.001.JPG

So you have Country, State (if applicable) City, Subject, number (if more than one image of said subject exists) and then also putting in folders, so for example I have a folder called 2005.09.Florida for all my pictures I took in Florida on a recent trip there in September 2005.

Now backup of photos, I'd like to know how others do that? Currently I have most of mine backed up on external hard drives, but having lost photos because of hard drive failures, and having no negatives or anything, I'd be curious what others use (I don't trust CD's or DVD's that much, I've seen how much they can degrade without even using them).

5. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

I've been struggling with the backup solution too, although I have a bit more trust in CD and DVD media. Most likely, I will have a combination, stored on hard drives and CD/DVD media.

You may be able to utilize some online storage as well. If you get a Gmail account, you can install the Gmail Drive tool (http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm) that's out there to treat your Gmail 2GB account as a new drive in Windows.

6. avisitor

avisitor Well-Known Member

Personally, I use CD's/DVD's in a safe-deposit box for storage. I like using Picasa for organization, and I use the GIMP(GNU Image Manipulation Program) partially because it's free and really pretty good in my opinion.

7. arevee

arevee New Member

try fast stone image viewer v2.29

its pretty fast!! its very user friendly and intuitive!

ITS FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

http://www.faststone.org/

8. Wail

Wail Well-Known Member

For photo editing, I use none. I am not a supporter of editing a picture after capturing. If I don’t get it right, then I have to live with the results, just like in the old days of film photography. I know that I can edit a picture to remove / add features etc. but I just don’t like to get myself into that since it would mean that a picture could be “manipulated” in such ways that it would no longer reflect what was really seen.

As for organising my pictures; I make sure to reset my cameras’ counter every time I take it out and I don’t change the pictures’ name, I stick with the code that the camera assigns to it. On my PC I make a folder for each photo assignment (or trip) I am about to take and then divide that folder into sub-folders for each sub-event or day.

For example, on a recent trip to watch the F1 in Monte Carlo I created a folder called “Monte Carlo” with dub folders for “Day 1”, “Day 2”, .. up to “Day 5”. In “Day 1” (and each day for that matter) I have sub folders for the various major events of that day, and one folder called “Misc.” for the miscellaneous pictures of that day. To give an example of this, for “Day 2”, I have subfolders for “Race”, “Lunch”, “walking about MC”, “Dinner”, “Wonderful Cars”, “Yummy Picture” (use your imagination to what went in there), and “Misc.” (for all the pictures that did not fit into the predefined folders). I then create one folder for “Best of Best”, and in it I would limit my self to no more than 100 of the best pictures of the trip (I do this for each project / trip / assignment I work on).

By the end of that trip I had no less than 10,000 pictures taken over the 7 days trip (5 days in MC and one day travelling to / back) generating no less than 50 GB of pictures. A lot of picture to store and a huge risk to keep on one hard drive and / or one set of CDs. And that is just one trip.

So, for storage I use a set of external hard drives and CDs.

On my home network I have 2 external hard drives (each is a Maxtor 300GB drive). These are set-up such that 1 is my main drive and 1 acts as shadow drive to “ghost” the main drive. So, in the event one of the main drive crashes I can revert to the “ghost” to retrieve the lost files and then replace the damaged drive with something else. I also make sure that for each project / event / trip I make 2 set of CDs that I store away from my PC. Since I am not concerned about fire eating the CDs, both sets are stored in my home.

Now, I am looking to upgrade my 300GB drives to something more specious (there are the Lacie 1TB drives that are just too sexy to resist). I am also considering a more robust archiving system but I figure that my set-up is reasonably well suited for a serious hobbyist. I am not too keen on pictures residing on CDs, but good quality CDs, stored in a good dry place, can be expected to live a good 100 years (I figure that is good enough to out last me).

With this set-up I have all these pictures at my disposal from anywhere at home over WiFi.

The cost for this is relatively acceptable; each Maxtor drive is about USD 300; while the server I use is an old P III desktop (relatively free). The WiFi for the whole house cost me about USD 500 and that is with 2 Access Points and 1 Access Point with Router.

Just for the records, I have never had a hard drive failure (fingers crossed).

9. MarkArden

MarkArden New Member

My favorite tools:
    PicaJet Photo Manager for organizing tasks. Recommended.
    IrfanView as default image viewer
    CamReader - a small tool to improve my import workflow. Organize images into the hierarchical folder structure during the process of importing images from a camera to PC.

10. Mike22

Mike22 Well-Known Member

Definitely ACDSee Pro, or even just get ACDSee the normal version if you can.
    It really is awesome, Im about to start a thread dedicated to it.

I cant believe no one has mentioned it yet!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.