Preferred photo organizing software

Discussion in 'Software' started by Magellan, Mar 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wail

Wail Well-Known Member

To bring this thread back from the archives …..

Having put this off for a long time, I find that the time is ripe for me to get something to help me sort out my picture library, to rate them, and categorise them.

I have most of my pictures, 10,000s of them on my home server which I access over wifi whenever I am at home. I need the application to allow me to access these pictures which are on the server and the ones on my laptop, to be able to rate them, categorise them and perform little adjustments to them (cropping mostly).

It would be great if this application has a Mac version as well, and that I can access the pictures with their relevant “data sorting, categorisation etc.” from which ever application / platform. Since I currently am using a PC with windows, the application would need to run under this platform for now and once I move to Mac I would get the Mac version without my need to redo all that was done, and that I can access my pictures with all the details that I have done to them.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

2. Wail

Wail Well-Known Member

I don't want to start a new thread since what I am asking for is mostly in line with this one .. but my quandry is that my pictures are on a server and not on my day-to-day machine ....

Can someone please help me with this, or point me in a direction that may be of help?

Thank you all.

3. bTaryag

bTaryag Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about servers / networks etc. Sorry.

4. Wail

Wail Well-Known Member

Thank you for the reply, even though I was to find a different answer! I am in dire need for such an application and`am lost for where to look & whom to ask.

:(

Still, I appreciate you coming back to me with an answer ... tells me how difficult it may be, if not impossible, to find such an application.

5. M@lew

M@lew Member

Lightroom is very good for organising and it's supported on both Windows and Mac, so I think you can move libraries around.

Aperture for Mac is also very good, but not as speedy as Lightroom.

6. Wail

Wail Well-Known Member

M@lew,

Thanks for the reply, one of my most needed features is the ability to access my library that is on a remote server. From what I've gathered, none of the two you've suggested support that feature .... but please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks again, for your reply.

7. M@lew

M@lew Member

How come you store your photo's on a server? Do you mean a server like Flickr?

8. Gautam

Gautam Well-Known Member

F-Spot Manager and Nautilus to browse & GIMP to edit. I'm completely on Linux :)

In my Windows days, I used Windows Explorer to browse and Macromedia-Adobe Fireworks to edit.

9. Wail

Wail Well-Known Member

I store my pictures on a home server ... not my laptop.

How come? Well, my laptop I use it to lug around wherever I may go, around the house and / or on my trips. My server has a few good TB of hard drives that I use to store all my pictures. You will see that no laptop can possibly have that size of a hard drive, and I sure don't want all them wires connected to my laptop / tablet.

So, there you have it. My need to access my image library from my tablet, which are stored on my server.

10. M@lew

M@lew Member

Ah I see. Well if you're on a Mac, you could use Aperture and reference the files on your computer, and then connect to the server when you need access to the actual file?

That's only a guess though, not 100% if you can do it with a server. I know you can for an external HD though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.