problem focusing with my canon powershot S3 IS

Discussion in 'Canon' started by seanb, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seanb

seanb New Member

I have a problem focusing with my canon powershot S3 IS
    I am not technically minded but when I try to take a close up photo, as soon as I press the button to take the photo the object goes out of focus.

Any help would be appreciated

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

There are three ways to get a close-up photo with the S3is.

One is to use your zoom lens, but this will require you to be no closer than about 2 feet from the subject, or further away depending how much zoom you use. If you're too close the image will be blurry.

A second way is to use the macro mode. Press the button on the side of the lens with the tulip icon. Make sure the zoom is not used or you'll get a blurry picture. You can shoot with the lens as close as 10 cm to the subject.

A third way is to use super macro mode. Just press the tulip button and hold it in - the camera will switch from macro to super macro. In super macro mode you can shoot with the lens almost touching the subject. As with macro mode, make sure you do not use any zoom or the picture will be blurry.

I hope this helps.

3. seanb

seanb New Member

do I have to select anything other than auto ? sorry I said that I was not technical!!

4. Andy Stanton

You can use Auto mode to zoom with your lens and to enable macro mode. However in order to use super macro you have to be in Program (P) mode.

5. seanb

seanb New Member

Thank you Andy you are now communicating with a new close up photographer! I like my lttle camera and I'm glad that I'm not going to have to change it.
    It takes great pictures of running water!

6. Andy Stanton

Great! Macro photography is really neat. I especially love taking closeups of flowers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.