PSP First Thoughts

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Brian, Mar 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

2. Josh Dollins

Josh Dollins News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

I own one. Watching movies on it is great to but the UMD's are expensive. its definetly nice to store things on also. Best part and my reason for purchasing though was for gaming.

3. camerashy

camerashy Member

I was lucky and purchased my PSP for half the cost. Used of course but with the expense of "toys" these days, I'll take any break I can get. I wondered what will be next for the handheld gaming device and I supposed being able to text, take/send pictures, appointment scheduler and such, is it.

Nintendo is lagging so far behind it's not funny any more and I wonder if the company will be able to survive for much longer.

4. Tommi

Tommi New Member

My son has one I'd rather have the PS2 :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2015
  5. Josh Dollins

Josh Dollins News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

This thing is as powerful as a ps2 but portable (and has a smaller screen and lower sound sure but visually and such its about the same if you ask me) I enjoy it just as much except I admit its more fun to play on a big screen but this is for mobility!

6. silverecstasy

silverecstasy New Member

The idea behind the PSP is great. However, I feel that it was a rushed design and the overall feel of the controller has no comfort at all. You wrists cramp up after a long time of playing, your thumbs are lost, missing two joystick controls, and it ends up being frustrating that you probably could have played the game better were you more comfortable, and had more button access.

The screen is gorgeous, but quite honestly I don't even play the thing anymore. I've attempted to try and generate some interest from time-to-time, by buying the bigger memory card, buying more games, but when I just went on my vacation, I didn't even bother taking the PSP. I just packed the Nano and listened to music the entire flight.

Also, I'm too scared of breaking my PSP. I'm self-conscious of its beauty and design, to the point where I think its almost just fragile. I haven't abused it whatsoever, it still to this day looks brand new and untouched.

7. Masterchief

Masterchief New Member

I purchased a PSP on launch day. I had it preordered. The device is the perfect handheld unit except for one thing. The games. The games aren't really handheld oriented where you can turn your psp on really quick, fire up a game, and turn it back off. The games are more console oriented (hence playstation portable I guess). Another thing, the PS takes forever to load a UMD game. Smackdown vs. Raw 06 takes about 45 seconds to load each new part of the game. Not at all ideal for portable gaming. As a multimedia device though, the PSP is a dream machine. :cool:

8. arla

arla Active Member

I like my PSP few comments however

1. Some game design is BAD, some is good, Grand Theft Auto is good, Sims 2 is horrificly bad! Depending on the game design depends on playability (and load times) and also how much you can turn it on for a few minutes vs using for ages (For example again, SSX On Tour is really good because it's fast, it's furious, and you can play for a minute or two and then stop) Sims 2 again is bad because it's designed more as long play.

2. UMD's, while UMD's are great for playing with, Sony screwed up with UMD movies because the ONLY device to watch them on is the PSP and they are more expensive than DVD's (and you can rip DVD's onto memory sticks and play them off there). If they had come out with a device to play UMD's on a TV they could have been great (nice and small, enclosed in a hard case so less damagable, and I HEAR quality is better than DVD's although I'm unsure on this one) alternatively if it was $15 for your average DVD release, and $20 for a DVD/UMD release (got both the UMD and the DVD) then it could have worked, however $20 for a UMD that you can ONLY watch on a 3 inch screen is...

Pathetic.

Overall though, they are good if you need a portable player (I travel a lot, so while I like my PS2, it's a bit useless being over 1000 miles from where I am most of the time).

9. Gautam

Gautam Well-Known Member

The PSP is different now, not because the hardware has changed, but because the games that are out and those to come are decently varied and appeal to all kinds of consumers. The PSP's hardware is better used with new firmwares, and alternate firmwares (not supported by Sony).

10. M@lew

M@lew Member

Thanks to custom firmware's etc. the PSP has greatly improved. You can now over-clock your PSP if you want that extra performance, store games on your memory stick for easy access, browse the web and read RSS for example.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.