Putting Date on Photos

Discussion in 'Canon' started by xCuteBunnyx, Dec 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xCuteBunnyx

xCuteBunnyx Member

Hi, I just recently bought a Cannon SD1100is(thanks Andy for the help!)
    and I would like to know how to put the dates on the photos. I know there is a date stamp option, but I would like to put the dates on photos I already took and have to option to put on/take off. Is there any way I can put dates on the photos I already took?

Thanks!

Oh does anyone know how common the e18 Lens Error is? Does every camera have this possibility or just a few bad batch Cannon cameras? Due to reading "if you are unlucky" I take it as if you get a bad batch. Oh and any way to take the reflection of glasses in photos?

Sorry for the many questions. Happy Holidays everyone!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  2. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Congrats on the SD1100, xCuteBunnyx. Hope you enjoy it!

As far as I know, there's not a way to both add and remove date/time info in the camera. In some cameras, you find an option to add a date stamp in the playback menu, but as I remember, the SD1100 doesn't offer this.

For both adding/removing dates and taking care of glasses glare, then, it seems like your best option would be an image editor. You might try downloading GIMP: it's powerful (does a lot of what Photoshop does) and free.

The E18 lens error seems, as best I can tell, to afflict certain batches of certain models most of the time. One opinion is that Canon has, over time, done a better job of designing for this issue (which seems to be caused in most cases by foreign matter entering the lens movement system and jamming things up). Hence, I've seen less reports on the newer models, but it's hard to say anything definitively - as with anything where you're depending mostly on user reports posted on the internet for data, it's hard to get clear numbers.

Of course, any camera (not just Canons) can have a jammed lens, but if you're careful with you camera (i.e. carry it in case or skin instead of directly in a purse/pocket, keep it clean, etc.) you can reduce your chances of having a problem. And while the internet reports on this and similar problems can make them seem scary and inevitable, I've owned several PowerShots, including the trouble-prone A620, and have never had an issue. In the case of the A620, which was my travel camera for awhile, it got dropped more than once and generally treated roughly and continues to work without issue to this day.

Hope this helps,

dr

3. roadkill401

roadkill401 Member

The date question is one that I have never quite understood. On your camera, you can set the time and date, and that information is saved in the .jpeg file along with a whole load of other information.

So the question is what are you asking for? back in the old days of film camera's, there really was no method of a time or date to be saved to the film negaive (except for the APS camera's) so some manufacturers super imposed a time and date onto the actual print. If you ask me, that was just a really bad idea as it detracted from the picture.

But digital is an electronic file. If you are looking at the digital file on your computer, then just simply hitting the properties on that file, then select the summary tab and choose advanced, will give you the time and date. If you print off the photo's at a camera store (that is pretty cheep now) they will encode on the back of the photo's the file name, date, print number etc.. The only way you are not getting that info is if you are printing your own photo's on a printer.

If you are looking to get more info from your jpeg files, take a look at OPanda EXIF viewer at http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/index.html

Hope this helps out.

Matt

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  4. xCuteBunnyx

xCuteBunnyx Member

5. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Nice video. I'm glad you mentioned the E18 error. I've never experienced it on my two Canons but people should be aware that it's a possibility.

I hope your cold gets better soon.:)

6. xCuteBunnyx

xCuteBunnyx Member

Omg you acutally watched it! Lol Thanks!
    I didn't really expect anyone to watch it.
    Thanks =D

7. dugpatrick

dugpatrick Member

Regarding the date on photos... A friend of mine says that shutterfly prints the date and filename on the back of the photos. I haven't used the service myself, but my friend highly recommends shutterfly.

Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.