Quality of Photo Archiving Systems?

Discussion in 'Software' started by eehamilton, Aug 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eehamilton

eehamilton New Member

After buying a 6.3 MP camera, I am now searching for the best online service to store my pictures. While I have seen many such as Ofoto, Shutterfly and Snapfish - none adequately address what quality or MP size they will actually store my pictures for later printing or retrieval. I heard that many actually store the pictues in a less pixalated form than the original quality - thus having lower quality archival images available to me. Does anybody have info on the method of storage as it relates to quality?

2. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

I've always had good experiences with Shutterfly, so that would be my recommendation.

I've never heard of the online photo services downgrading the quality of your original file. I would guess that they may resize and lower quality for their previewing modes, etc, but my bet is that happens either with a copy of the image or on the fly. If they downgraded quality of the images, their print quality would suffer and they would lose customers quickly.

3. avisitor

avisitor Well-Known Member

May I suggest a DVD-R.

4. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

Definitely a great option. You control the quality and you don't have to worry about your images "out there" on some server somewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.