Rediculus Number Of Pages to Get To Actual Review Info

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions and Site Help' started by PaulRivers, Aug 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulRivers

PaulRivers New Member

I tried to look through some of reviews today. Reviews used to be 3 pages. Now it's at least 3 pages before I get to any of the important review info.

I gave up. I couldn't see any way to just skip ahead to the page I wanted either.

It's one thing if there's more info, but on sites where there's more info they also let you skip past the boring "here's pics of the camera, here's how the controls work, bla bla bla" stuff.

I assume the reason for all of this is that with more pages there's more ads to generate revenue, but I'm just saying - I used to scan through almost every review that came up, now I'll just be looking through the ones I already think I'll be interested in, and then probably only the ones that I haven't already seen on other sites.

It's just not worth the hassle for me to go through pages and page of fluff to get to the info I want (the performance, high iso, and conclusion sections).

2. leaftye

leaftye Well-Known Member

It seems like all the photo sites are like this. I also believe it's to drive ad-based revenue. There is an easy workaround: click the printer icon.

Edit: After seeing Andy's post below, I want to clarify that I'm using "like this" to refer to the multiple pages of reviews, not to the quality or usefulness of any of it. If you want to see fluff, go to Cnet or something like it where the reviews could have been made up by looking at press photos and the spec sheet.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  3. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

As a reviewer for this website, I disagree with the premise that the first part of the camera reviews at DCR consists of useless information - ie., fluff. The reviews here at DCR follow a set pattern. After a brief introduction we discuss the physical aspects of the camera, then move on to the menus and modes, and only then discuss the camera's performance. While some readers are looking for comments regarding performance issues, others are very interested in the ergonomics and menus. Personally speaking, if I'm considering buying a particular camera, I want to know whether it has shoddy build quality or whether the menu system is poorly laid out.

4. Allison Johnson

Allison Johnson News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Paul, thanks for your feedback. In any review there's a navigation bar on the left-hand side so you'll always be able to skip from section to section. If you want to cut right to the chase, you can always just click on the "Conclusions" section.

5. PaulRivers

PaulRivers New Member

Thanks! The navigation bar (which I'm not 100% sure whether it was added after I originally commented, or whether I just somehow missed it at the time - I did look for it) helps immensely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.