S3IS Recording Problems

Discussion in 'Canon' started by Shadrachtcc, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadrachtcc

Shadrachtcc New Member

I'm a newbie and I have the s3is digital camera. When recording a video the camera just suddenly stops recording after about 4-5 minutes for no reason. It has done this with a 2,4, and 8 Gb SD memory card. The batteries are fresh and the memory card is formatted. The settings are re-set to the factory default settings. Does anyone have a solution to this problem. The manual states that it should at least record up to one hour. Please help!

2. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

The other thing with movie files on that camera is that there is also a limit of 1GB for each file. If you record at the highest quality settings, it records at 1980KB/sec, which works out to around 500 seconds to hit that 1GB limit, which is just over 8 minutes. While 8 minutes is longer than 4-5 minutes, you might check the file sizes on the movies that you've taken to see if you've hit that 1GB limit.

3. Shadrachtcc

Shadrachtcc New Member

Ben, does that mean that I have to restart the camera every 8 minutes, 8 times on an 8 gb memory card to get 64 minutes of video??

4. E.B.E.

E.B.E. Well-Known Member

Probably yes. This is a still camera, to make real videos you need a video camera :)

5. Shadrachtcc

Shadrachtcc New Member

E.B.E., I can probably double that recording time by reducing to 320/240 from 640/480, correct? However will I be sacrificing video quality in doing so? What are your setting suggestions to maximize recording time and still maintain a decent noiseless video?

6. E.B.E.

E.B.E. Well-Known Member

Yes of course you will sacrifice video quality. I don't have any useful suggestions...

7. Shadrachtcc

Shadrachtcc New Member

Okay, thanks everyone for educating me on this issue. It looks like I may need to get a camcorder to compliment my digital camera. By the way, what is a good quality but reasonable camcorder for a novice who is just getting into photography? If you can list a couple or three I will investigate according to my preferences.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.