S7000 problems

Discussion in 'Fuji (Fujifilm)' started by jamesm, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamesm

jamesm New Member

Ok so I have a fuji s7000 that was just given to me and it will not stay on when in picture taking mode. Stays on in picture play mode or in both modes when the dial is set to (set). The camera turns on when you put it in picture mode then immediatly turns off with the lens still out. I have tried lithium rechargable batteries and alkaline and they do the same. Any advice or anything. Also I was told it was a firmware problem but as most of you probably already know fuji never put out an updated firmware version for this camera. So I guess my next question is does anyone know where I can get the original firmware version at.
    Thanks in advance

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

The most likely explanation is that the camera is not getting enough power.
    Try putting in 4 NiMH rechargeable AA batteries or 4 Eneloop batteries.

Another possibility may be that there's a problem with the camera's memory card. The S7000 can use either an xD card or a compact flash type I or II. Do not use an SD card.

I don't know why you need the original firmware since there never was a firmware update.

3. jamesm

jamesm New Member

Thanks Andy,
    I have tried alkaline,NIMH and Nicad and lithium batteries in it but still the same problem. I have tried it with and without a xd card (2gb) and it still does the same power off immediatly after you put it in the picture taking mode. But as I said in the Playback mode it works fine. Lens makes no funny noises and I can play with it all day in the set mode in either playback or picture taking mode. The reason for asking about the firmware is that if someone tried to put a firmware update in the camera that did not belong or for some reason the firmware got damaged then I would like to restore the firmware with a fresh version. Thanks again and and any help or ideas are appreciated.

4. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Sorry, I'm unable to find the original firmware. I suggest contacting Fuji.

Getting back to memory cards, I've read that problems sometimes arise when folks use a type "H" XD card, as the S7000 is compatible with only type "M" cards, so this might be something to check out.

Also, I've heard that people have had problems when their memory card was formatted in their computer instead of in the camera, so you may want to reformat your card in the camera.

5. spintyer

spintyer Well-Known Member

The S7000 camera will take these memory cards: xD-Picture Card - type M, M+ and type H - 16MB - 2GB - Microdrive and Compact Flash Type I & type II 340MB - 1GB, note; type M xD-Picture Card is not recommend for use with the video recording feature of this camera.
    Just make sure your card is one of the above, ie; xD-Picture Card - type M or type M+, or type H. Other types may not work with the camera properly.

Spintyer

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  6. timothytim

timothytim New Member

I know this is an old post and you may not have the camera anymore, but I am posting this for the benefit of others who may happen across it.

I have (and still use) an S7000 and the problem you described plagued it for a long time. I always suspected the batteries, low battery voltage detector, contacts etc. It turned out to be something different. Open the CF card door and look at the bottom of the door. There is a small protrusion of plastic that actuates an interlock switch just inside the body of the camera. Initially, the camera had a small thin piece of foam-like material over the switch presumably to keep dust out. This piece of foam deteriorated over time with opening and shutting the door and eventually poked a hole in it and then fell off inside the camera. The thickness of the foam is important to solidly actuate the switch. After unsuccessfully trying to duplicate the original foam piece, I tried attaching a small (about 3mm square) piece of foam tape to the tip of the protrusion on the door. I used foam tape like what is used by scrapbookers to attach photos. It has worked well for me and completely eliminated the random power-downs.

7. searcher

searcher New Member

Hi timothytim,
    I do have also an old S7000, which has the same problems with the batteries. As I am not so familiar with english (I am german) I do not understand your post with the repair propusal via foam in detail. Do you thing you could post pictures or send me some to my email adress? Thank you for answering

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.