Sample images K20d please?

Discussion in 'Pentax' started by puff5655, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puff5655

puff5655 Member

Hi group.

If any of you have the K20d, could you post a link to your galleries? This looks like a great camera for a great price, but I'm weary about moving away from Canon/Nikon (I've always felt that these were the leaders in quality).

The K20d has great reviews, but I would feel better about buying it if I could talk to some real people who actually have it!

Also, if you could recommend good lenses for:

Walkaround/General Use/Low Light
    Wildlife/action photography
    Zoom
    Landscape
    Macro
    ..and a Polarizing filter

I would really appreciate it.

Sarah

2. puff5655

puff5655 Member

PS I've also read that it doesn't do well in low light. Is this true? I want to be able to take pictures at sunrise/sunset, so this is important.

3. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

4. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

What do you mean by "doesn't do well"? The AF system can be a little dodgy in low light, and there's slightly more grain in the images than some competitors (Nikon D300, Canon 40D), but it's still not bad at all in my opinion.

I don't own a K20D, but I shot with our test unit while it was here (and I use a K10D with some regularity). On lens recommendations, here are some of my favorites:

Pentax DA 16-45mm f/4 - Good general purpose lens.
    Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 - If you're looking for something with better low-light performance in a walk-around lens.
    Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4 - This is your lens for low-light shooting, though it has some problems with fringing. There's a digital-specific replacement on the way, so I might hold off for that.
    Pentax DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro - Great macro lens. Check out our review.
    Pentax FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro - If you're looking for something with a little more reach, this is a better choice. I like it more than the 35mm for both range and sharpness, though this is a point of some debate around here.
    Pentax DA* 200mm f/2.8 - Excellent moderate telephoto for close-up action and wildlife shooting. We reviewed it here.
    Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 - A moderately priced telephoto zoom perfect for birding/wildlife shooting and some outdoor sports work.

Hope this helps,

dr

P.S.: Pentax is supposed to be releasing a new wide-angle prime soon, and I'd wait for that before jumping on a wide-angle/landscape lens.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  5. f4ding

f4ding Active Member

Does it really give excellent image quality, in the same level as Nikon's D300?

6. J.R.

J.R. Active Member

Regarding the grain in pictures- doesn't the d300 have that terrifyingly aggressive nr, though? Or is this a comparison with nothing enabled?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  7. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Member

Pentax K20d Pentax 50-135mm f2.8

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.