Samsung HZ15W gives "card error" with SDHC card!

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by rob41, Jul 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rob41

rob41 New Member

Wow, what a bummer. I ordered my new HZ15W from AAFES (military Exchange) online a couple days ago and just received it an hour ago.

It looks really nice and has some good features like 720P HD video, 12.2MP, 24MM wide angle lens and HDMI output. So I charge it for a while, insert my new Lexar 8GB SDHC card and then turn the camera on. For about two minutes, only the screen is on and none of the controls respond. Then, I get a message that reads "card error" and a light blinks for about ten seconds. I'm now able to enter the menu where I select to format the card which it does and says "format OK". When I try to take pictures and movies it says the memory is full.
    I turn the camera off then on again and the entire process starts over again.

I've gone through the process a dozen times and nothing works. I inserted a 2GB SD card from another camera and it works just fine.

Now for the part that really grinds me. I called Samsung Customer support twice and got the exact same response:

"Sir, other customers have experienced this problem and all we can suggest is to use a lower capacity card or a different brand of card".

That's not a solution! Nowhere does their advertising say to use a low capacity card or a specific brand of card. They have no firmware update but did offer for me to send in the camera for repair. Yeah, I don't think so. I've had it for one hour and it needs to be sent in for repairs? :mad:

This was supposed to be a high end, latest tech compact camera. It's not like 8GB SDHC cards are a new thing.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get the SDHC card to work?

If not I'll be returning the camera at my inconvenience and will certainly never buy a Samsung camera again.

I would appreciate any help getting this card to work.

Thanks in advance,
    Rob41

EDIT: Well I went to radio shack in my little town and bought a cheap 8GB Sandisk SDHC card and it works. So much for needing to send it in for repairs. :rolleyes:

Why in the world doesn't Samsung simply purchase every model of SD and SDHC card there is so they can either change the firmware or provide it's customers with a "compatibility" list?

Oh well, I'm just glad to have it working.:)

UPDATE: I'm not going to waste anyones time here with an attempt at a review because it would be quite pathetic I'm sure.

I know very little about photography but have owned a number of digital point and shoot compact cameras. With that said, this seems to be a very capable little camera. Once the power button is depressed, it is ready to take a picture almost instantly. While moving the camera across objects at very different distances, it's quick to aquire a good focus and is ready to capture the image. Once captured, the images are very clear and crisp even in low light situations. The 720P HD video images are very impressive for such a small package and I'm pleased with the results. I realize all of this is subjective but compared to a few 10MP cameras I've owned, this camera is capable of much more crisp images and can aquire them more quickly than my previous cameras.

I recommend this camera to anyone who wants a small but well performing camera capable of not only clear and crisp 12.2MP images, but also desires HD video. The only caution would be to try out whatever memory card you wish to use before buying because all memory cards will not work with this camera.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

It's possible your Lexar card may have been defective. Defective memory cards are not that uncommon.

3. rob41

rob41 New Member

I think you may be right Andy.

I also tried the Lexar SDHC card in my Alienware laptop but wasn't surprised it wasn't recognized since the card reader in my laptop doesn't support SDHC.

But I then installed the Sandisk SDHC card in the same laptop and it was recognized.

This all leads me to believe you are correct and it's just a bad card.

4. steeldragonnyc

steeldragonnyc New Member

I just got my wb550 and I love it.. Congrats on the purchase and im glad to here every things is working for you.. BTW is the wb550 the same as the HZ15W??

Never mind I just found out.....

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  5. jack008

jack008 New Member

I have run into the same problem.

First, I used a new 16GB Transend SDHC 6 card. It failed after I took some images. Unaware of this problem, I guessed the card is defective, even though it was good at beginning.

Then I purchased another 8GB Transend SDHC 6 card. This time, to test the card, I formated the card using HZ15W. Then I connect the camera to a notebook computer to copy nearly 8GB data to the card, then delete the content of the card. So I am pretty sure this 8GB card is OK for every bit of memory space. Then the same problem happened again after less than 100 shots. It is very annoying. I'll try to see if I can retrieve the images with a SD card reader when I am back from vacation. If not, I am very upset.

Can I conclude it is likely a problem of the camera?

6. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Maybe the camera just doesn't get along with Transcend memory cards. I need to get a larger capacity memory card myself and I'm thinking of limiting my selection to Sandisk or Kingston, as I've never heard of any compatibility problems with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.