Samsung ST1000 GPS

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by SirJman, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirJman

SirJman New Member

Hi, I just bought a ST1000 in Taipei. I have yet to get the GPS function to work correctly. It always stays On, but Red (meaning not connected). I have yet to get it to connect and be Green (activated). I tried in Taipei, in Chongqing and now in Seoul (where I live), and yet I have yet to see the GPS icon turn Green.

I went to a Samsung store here in Seoul and looked at their display models, and not one of them would connect. The employee didn't know how to get them to work either, we even took mine, and one of their display models outside to see if they would connect, they wouldn't. He took my number and said he would call me when he knows whats wrong.

I've looked online, in the manual and I still do not know why I cannot get the GPS to work properly.

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Thanks for the update.

3. giulianosoli

giulianosoli New Member

Mostrar forma romanizada
    Hello, I hope you are well. I write because I just bought us ST1000 and was not using the GPS, I live in England, the truth can not find how to use the GPS. I would appreciate if you help me use it. Thanks

4. giulianosoli

giulianosoli New Member

Mostrar forma romanizada
    Hello, I hope you are well. I write because I just bought us ST1000 and was not using the GPS, I live in England, the truth can not find how to use the GPS. I would appreciate if you help me use it. Thanks

5. giulianosoli

giulianosoli New Member

6. jellois

jellois New Member

Hello from Canada!

I bought this camera for boxing day today and I have been playing for it for almost the whole day.
    All the features seems to work great besides the gestures which are a little annoying...

I had the GPS working once for a round of about 5 pictures. To get it to work, I turned on the camera and put it on the table for about 2 minutes, till it connected. I checked the pictures later with iPhoto and it location was about 1.5km off. If these isn't an firmware update from Samsung in the next week, I'm just going to take the camera back.

I'm glad to find that it isn't just me with the problem or I'm not doing anything wrong.

Cheers!

7. SirJman

SirJman New Member

I don't know if there has been a hidden update, but the camera has been working better lately. Its acquiring signals, in around 10-30 seconds whenever outside and not near tall buildings. I've never had a geo-tag farther away than say 5 metres, its very accurate once it does connect.

So, far over the last month and a half its worked wonderfully in,
    - Seoul
    - Kuala Lumpur
    - Singapore
    - Los Angeles
    - Vancouver
    - Edmonton (even worked inside the West Edmonton Mall)
    - Seattle
    - Port-au-Prince, Haiti
    - Amherstburg & Windsor, Ontario (wanted to bring it close to a border)
    - Hong Kong
    - Guangzhou, China (not sure if my Taiwan purchased one allows me to access the China networks, or if all can)

I had problems with it working in Tokyo, and Las Vegas, but it might have been the tall buildings and the weather.

For larger asian cities the tag on the screen shows you which district you are in, rather than just the city name like the north american cities I was in.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  8. myST1000

myST1000 New Member

Definitely needs some sort of firmware update....

It just about does what it says. If youve had it switched on in camera mode for many minutes outside it does eventually find a gps location and does put the nearest town or village on screen. However
    1) If youre trying to do switch on point and shoot ,it wont find a location nor will it use the last known good location
    2) If you do leave it switched on so it can get a fix it leaves the lens cover open.
    3) If you swicth it to play mode, it turns off the gps so still no fix.
    4) if you have timed auto switch off it wil switch off before getting a fix.
    5) if you have it switched on and go indoors it will keep track. If you switch it off inbetween it will lose it
    6) there's no way of making it display actual coordinates

It needs some sort of standby mode where it's continually trying to find out where it is. A mode where everything else is powered down and the lens cover closed. As it is it's annoyingly useless as you have to switch it on about 3 minutes before you want to take a photo.

Anyone have a better experience or found the secret mode?

Also
    it's so keen to open the leans cover, there's no manual overide so you can close the thing
    and
    Bluetooth - it's weird. Ive managed to discover it with my phone but not my bluetooth laptop! It wont find either. How does that work? Both of those can find each other.

The photos look great :)
    but its not the reason I bought it

9. fattmox

fattmox New Member

I also purchased this camera. The GPS is not a high sensitive receive like ones you will find in navigation and handheld receivers. You will need wide open spaces. I have yet to get a fix downtown amongst tall building. Once I have a 75% clear view of the sky I am able to get a lock in one minute.

The manual has a similar blurb in it.

10. wagwag22

wagwag22 New Member

Like many I bought this camera for its GPS capability , too

How will I know, if and when Samsung puts out an update or fix - anyone any ideas on the timing and location of any fix ??

I'm experiencing the same difficulties as other posters

TIA
    :mad:
    Fort Myers FL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.