Shooting Action Shots w/ E-510 40-150mm

Discussion in 'Olympus' started by b08rsa, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b08rsa

b08rsa Member

Hello, and I am new to the DSLR world. I have been shooting my 7 yr old daughters soccer games and my 9 yr. old son dirt bike racing. I am trying to better understand how to get a good clean action shot? What settings would someone recomend? Please give me some opinion on the picture.

Thanks, Ron

[​IMG]

Here is a soccer action shot as well.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  2. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

The last shot looks alright to me, although it is a little bit out of focus and I think it could have benefited from a faster shutter speed.

The first image is definitely out of focus. What shutter speed did you use? (I could not check the exif data as I could for the last one).

To increase the shutter speed you might want to increase your ISO to 800 or 1600 or try to use at least a shutter speed of 1/500 to freeze action. Of course by boosting ISO you get more noise but it should clean up pretty well in post processing.

3. b08rsa

b08rsa Member

Thanks for the comments usapatriot. I really appriciate it. I did print the cycle pic out. I was able to sharpen it a little in photoshop 7.0
    I have photoshop CS, do you know if CS would be better to use? That way I could start shootin RAW.

Thanks, Ron

4. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

I think that Photoshop CS is a decent upgrade up from 7.0, but it might be worth it to upgrade to CS3.

I don't think that PS CS will read the RAW files though, the last time Adobe Camera Raw was updated for the PS CS was in 2005, the E-510 wasn't around back then so I do not think that it is supported.

If you want a few RAW converter and processor have a look at Raw Therapee

5. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Super Moderator/Reviewer News/Review Writer

There will be some speculation here, so bare with me. I know that in "Auto" mode on my Nikon (and all other Nikon DSLRs I have used) focuses on the closest object it finds, and I hate that. I am guessing that something similar to that is happening with your camera. In the soccer picture it looks to me like the ball is in focus (the ball seems to be the closest as well). If that is the case, you might look into using different focus modes. For Nikon, I set mine to continuous focus with manual sensor selection. That means that anytime the shutter button is depressed (even just partly) the camera is focusing, and I manually select which of the 5 sensors to focus with. This works really well for me as it allows me to be sure of the focus in moving pictures and allows me more room to compose the pictures as I see fit.

As far as what mode I recommend Aperture Priority mode. Then, set your aperture as low as you can (to get a wide aperture, more light) and you will get the highest shutter speeds you can. Boost the ISO if you need, but its my preference not to do that. A lot of this is playing and experimenting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.