Sigma dp1 news?

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by AaronM, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nautilus

Nautilus Well-Known Member

Sigma must have overpriced it over here in South East Asia. I am from Malaysia, and the DP1 is retailed at MYR 3988, that is roughly USD 1200++

That is insane!!! I will have to purchase it from somewhere else.

2. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

I just don't see a purpose in owning the Sigma DP1, if it at least had a zoom lens it would be more attractive to me. However, just owning the Sigma DP1 because of the large sensor in a compact body and the possible advantages in lower noise at high ISO's and better dynamic range than a standard compact just aren't enough for me. The AF is certainly not going to be too fast.

I'd rather take a Fuji Film F50fd or some other decent compact if I wanted a compact size to take wherever I wouldn't want to take an DSLR.

3. Nautilus

Well, preference i guess. I will play around with it when i see a unit at the local shop, then i will decide. From what i see (pictures) and reviews on some other sites, i am a 70% sold.

I own a Nikon D300, i want something like the DP1 to carry around. I don't like the compacts on offer now.

4. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

What makes you think that? I haven't really heard much about the AF one way or the other, though it seemed fast enough in the few minutes they let me spend with the camera.

dr

5. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

There's been a lot of chatter about the Foveon sensor, but in terms of color reproduction and vibrancy, I'm quickly becoming a believer.

Thanks for sharing this.

dr

6. Nautilus

David Rasnake, that's why i am eyeing this camera, fell in love with the colours.

7. Nautilus

Found out that B&H ships to Malaysia, but currently out of stock, at a total USD 894.35 including shipping.

Cool !!!

8. Nautilus

9. neenee

neenee Well-Known Member

Hm.. It seems they sacrificed quite a bit to get the image quality for which people are looking at this camera, from slow AF to very slow RAW file writing (12 seconds as mentioned in the review above) and no IS.

But despite the shortcomings, people will no doubt find a good use for it ;)

10. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

Contrast detect AF on compacts is never very fast.

And it is confirmed by this review that neenee posted.

As a first generation camera will a full sized sensor, it leaves a lot to be desired for, maybe the second or third generation cameras will be a lot better. But the DP1 doesn't seem worth owning, at least not at the current price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.