Sigma vs canon lenses

Discussion in 'Lenses and Accessories' started by daggert, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daggert

daggert New Member

I am in the market for a new long lens either the 70-300 Canon or 150-500 Sigma. I have a 400D Canon EOS. The lenses are around the same price here in Australia so I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice on either one.
    I want the long lens mainly for birds.

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

In the US the Sigma lens is twice as expensive. It's also twice as heavy.

Are you aware that you'll probably have to use a tripod to get a decent long range shot, especially when using the Sigma?

3. daggert

daggert New Member

Thanks Andy. The people in the camera shop did say that I'll need the tripod for the sigma as it is almost twice as big as the canon. I do have a tripod and have currently got a monopod coming in the mail. I realize that using this lens will have some handling issues but I was more concerned with the performance. I am quite a novice with photography and if I am going to spend $1000+ on a lens I want it to be worthwhile.
    I currently have a 75-300mm quantarary lens for my camera but the electrics or something dont seem compatable as I can only use it on the auto action/sport setting as it keeps coming up with errors. It also errors when there is too much light or shiny things in picture like reflecting light or rippling water.
    As I said I mainly want the long lens for birds so having the longer lens would probably be a plus but if it comes with more compatability problems or being too cumbersome maybe the canon lens would be better.
    Thanks again
    daggert

4. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

5. daggert

daggert New Member

Thanks I will go take a look!

6. Paul79UF

Paul79UF Member

Don't rule out the Tamron 18-270.

I read a bunch of reviews of it when I was considering the Canon T2i.

I had an old Tamron 28-300 with my Nikon D100 years ago and it took great pictures in most situations. Plus you can't beat that one lens flexibility.

Sure two lenses to cover that same range would be better, but how many shots do you miss while constantly changing lenses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.