Small camera with Wide Angle zoom with great picture quality

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by LL3FM, Nov 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LL3FM

LL3FM New Member

Which camera should I buy?

Budget

>$800

Size

Small, portable enough to carry around most of the time. In the point and shoot size category not DSLR size.

Megapixels- Based on my other criteria (excellent image quality, wide angle zoom, small, and decent manual features)

Optical zoom—I’m most interested in as wide a zoom as possible. At least a 28mm in the 35 equivalent.

Image quality (Rate using a scale of 1-10) 10

Manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)? Absolutely.

What will you generally use the camera for?
    All purpose—portraits, landscapes, sports, and concerts.

Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
    Nothing bigger than 10 X 14 if even that.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? Yes

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? Yes

Are there particular brands you like or hate? No I’m open for whatever fits my crazy demands.

Are there particular models you already have in mind?
    No

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
    Wide Angle is very important. The I.S. is good along with any other bells and whistles, as far as Weather Proofing, if it’s available, I’d love it but it’s not a deal breaker.

TIA :cool:

2. DouglasTuck

DouglasTuck New Member

The Ricoh GR Digital II is under $800 has a f2.4 lens fixed at 28mm equiv but also has an optional 21mm equiv adapter. Full manual and RAW. It works great.
    http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/

3. LL3FM

LL3FM New Member

Thanks for the responses. The Cannon SD870 IS is one of the cameras I’ve been considering along with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2K and the similar Leica D-LUX 3.

4. LL3FM

LL3FM New Member

Thanks, this Ricoh looks very interesting. I am not familiar with it. When will it hit the streets? I would forgo an optical zoom if the picture quality were superior.

Between these 4 cameras, how do they rate? I haven’t seen any reviews on the Ricoh but the Cannon has some good write-ups. It seems like the Cannon had better picture quality reviews than the Lumix / Leica.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.