1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

soft photos with 60D

Discussion in 'Canon' started by JohnR, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnR

JohnR Member

photos are soft with full auto. All the rest seem to work fine. Flash pops up all the time in full auto. Any help appreciated.

2. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

In Auto the flash should pop up only if the first shot is in dim light. Once it pops up, it will stay up until you physically push it back down (does not auto-retract). So long as the shots in the Creative Auto and Program modes are not soft, I'm not sure you have much to worry about.

Kelly Cook

3. JohnR

JohnR Member

Thanks - that's about what I thought too. Just wondered if there was something I was doing wrong with auto, or if something was going wrong with the camera.

4. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Auto mode (at least on Canon) gives you no control whatsoever. So there is nothing you can do wrong, except use Auto in the wrong situation, and have unrealistic expectations for the outcome. Which can happen a lot for noobs to DSLR. If there is anything tricky about the lighting or subject, forget Auto and go instead to the CA or Program mode. DSLR can be cruel that way.

Kelly

5. JohnR

JohnR Member

Agree. I always use creative mode, but my husband (on his 60D) inadvertently used auto. The problem he had was the photos are not only "soft" they're really quite blurred, even more when zoomed. I don't know a lot, but I do know that's not right. I suggested he do as I do, and avoid auto. Not a good solution, but a solution anyway

6. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Blur is most often due to too low of a shutter speed. It can also happen when the focus is missed. Of course on DSLR cameras it's all too easy to accidentally switch the lens to MF, and never know it. This certainly has happened to me.

Kelly

7. JohnR

JohnR Member

Yes, there are far too many buttons these days :confused:

8. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Well, it appears that most lenses for the new mirrorless type cameras lack the traditional AF/MF switch.

9. JohnR

JohnR Member

His has the switch, but I don't think it's that, I think it's when it's set onto full auto. He's been trying his darndest to figure it out but I think it's much easier to go with creative modes.

10. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

The different cases for blur are fairly easy to sort out. If you can give a link to a full size (or 100% crop) online post of one of these soft images.

Kelly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.