Software to make image larger

Discussion in 'Software' started by bTaryag, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bTaryag

bTaryag Well-Known Member

Hello all...

(Long time no speak...)

I have some images that are low rez. I would like to get them bigger to be able to get large prints.

I need a program that will add pixels to the image - not just make the pixels bigger which would result in blurry pictures.

If is is free that would be great.

Any ideas?

2. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Super Moderator/Reviewer News/Review Writer

You should try writing to the makers of CSI, they are the only ones that have such a program.

On a serious note, unfortunately, what you are asking for not only doesn't exist, but is impossible. You are asking for a program that can add information that isn't in the picture. Sorry, but not possible.

3. bTaryag

Well I don't know if it exists, but it definitely possible.

4. CalebSchmerge

I'm pretty certain it isn't possible. You are asking for the computer to add detail to the picture that just isn't there. If you shrink a picture, you look at say 4 pixels and turn them into one (its not quite that simple, but the idea is the same). If you make a picture bigger, you would have to split one pixel into 4 pixels which are all different. Thats not possible, at least not accurately enough to look good on paper (or on screen, for that matter).

5. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

What you are describing is called image resizing. When resizing larger, the information must come from somewhere. The adjacent pixels are the usual source. This is called image interpolation. Adobe Photoshop can resize, of course. One of the more popular products for interpolation is Genuine Fractals.

6. CalebSchmerge

Thanks for the backup. Obviously even with these "advanced" types of resizing, you will still end up with a blurry image if you try to resize too much.

7. bTaryag

Thank you!

8. AKAJohnDoe

Unless I have a very specific reason to do otherwise, I always shoot at full resolution and in RAW mode. This way I always have all the information that was possible to gather to begin with. So much easier!

9. avisitor

avisitor Well-Known Member

You will get the best results if you use (bi)cubic interpolation when resizing your images. Go about 15% at a time as you scale up.

10. AKAJohnDoe

A Google search reveals a number of sites with examples of the the results of resizing using many of the available products. Search on bicubic interpolation or image resizing or like terms.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.