Software To Use To Edit Burst Mode JPEGs

Discussion in 'Software' started by JpegJohn, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JpegJohn

JpegJohn New Member

i have a SONY DSC W 55. Some shots were inadvertantly (and mistakenly) created in "Burst" mode. The result was, as defined in the manuals, 1 jpeg shot with 16 separate "frames". I want to break those merged frames apart into 16 separate jpegs that hopefully will allow me to handle the separated frames in the software commonly used for that (Adobe, etc.) But I need to know how to separate the 16. Thanks.

2. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

I don't remember the file output for burst mode on these cameras, but if I understand what I'm reading correctly, the image is a single file that resembles a print index or contact sheet (if you remember the days of film) in that there are 16 small images arranged in some kind of grid layout (perhaps 4x4) on a single image file. Correct?

If so, creating separate files, even in something as primitive as the default Windows photo editor, shouldn't be hard. What you'll need to do is create a working duplicate copy of the original file (this is important, as it's easy to accidently and irrevocably save over the original in this process). Use the crop tool to box out each image - you'll have to work one frame at a time. Crop the file, do a Save As, and save each crop as a separate JPEG file with a unique name. Reopen the original file with all the frames, step and repeat until you have 16 individual files.

There are more advanced ways of doing this in things like Photoshop, but this is the easiest approach to explain clearly (maybe this was clear...).

Forgive me if this isn't how the images are merged, or if this is too simplistic an explanation.

3. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Super Moderator/Reviewer News/Review Writer

If its a contact sheet than I agree with David, at least that is what I would try first. I have seen some pictures that actually have multiple frames in one file. If that is the case you might be able to just pull up each frame and save a copy of it. Good luck either way.

4. JpegJohn

JpegJohn New Member

Thanks for taking your time to help me out. I did exactly as you suggested prior to reading your reply. The cropping, copying and subsequent pasting did provide for a small success. However, as in all pixel-ed things, the cropped, saved image loses its resolution as you try to bring the small cropped image to a larger size. Additionally, there are a significant number of frames containing the 4 x 4 merged images, so cut and paste in effect is not really the route I wanted to take. Your explanation, by the way, were correct.

5. JpegJohn

JpegJohn New Member

It's actually not a contact sheet. It's similar to imagining one large blank JPEG "canvas" onto which 16 shots are recorded, in JPEG format as well, which occurs when the "Burst" or "multi-burst" option is selected by the photographer. According to the SONY info, this feature is used in sporting events, etc to capture explicit motion on one frame. It's like taking a movie film and slicing 16 consecutive frames off the reel and pasting onto a blank piece of paper.

6. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

I've tried to do a little more digging, but I'm drawing a blank on this one. If you can't get acceptable resolution with the method you had tried (which it seemed like you wouldn't), there's really no other way to "separate" the frames, as the individual full-resolution image data isn't stored separately anywhere.

Sorry we couldn't be more helpful,
    dr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.