Soliciting Opinions on a new purchase....

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by jclogston, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jclogston

jclogston Member

Hi -

New here, a regular at the notebookreview forums. Anyways, looking for a new camera; i filled out the FAQ as best as i could. Thanks.

Budget: <$300

Size: The smaller the better; ultracompact.

Features: >6MP

General Usage: Going to use for vacations, parties, general use, nothing crazy.

Miscellaneous: Want a camera with the zoom in/out like a rotary switch like that found on the canon sd series. Don't like it when it is a button on the back of the camera.

So far, looking at Canon SD600, SD630, Sony W50, W70, W100. Also saw an Olympus FE-230 which looked interesting.

How are these cameras i've listed? Which would you go for? Any others worth looking at?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

2. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

Welcome to the DCR forums then!

The Canons and Sonys that you listed are all good. I'd probably go with a Canon, but not for any major reason - I've used Canon before, it uses SD media, etc. A consistent thing that you'll find with these smaller cameras is that the flashes are pretty under-powered. You'll be fine taking pictures of friends at a table, but trying to take pictures of people dancing at something like a wedding reception may not be that great.

I don't know of an Olympus FE-230 - the FE-200 is the highest numbered in the line-up currently.

Another possibility may be the Casio Exilim EX-S770. It's really slim camera, very attractive, with a nice wide screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.