Sony Cameras

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by X6StringerX, May 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. X6StringerX

X6StringerX Member

Budget

<$300... the cheaper the better

Size

My head tells me to get a compact camera, but as I think back at the times I've carried my current camera, I don't think it would have bothered me to have had something a little larger. I'm still trying to decide.

Features

I would like to be able to print a decent 8x10 every now and again, so I'm assuming something in the 7-8 range would suffice.

* What optical zoom will you need?

Minimum 3x

* How important is “image quality” to you?

I'm not a professional, but I would say 9-10. The whole point of purchasing a new camera is so I can produce better quality photos.

Do you care for manual exposure modes?

Like I said, I'm not a professional, so I'd like something easy to use. One thing that I would like is the ability to snap a few consecutive shots in a short amount of time.

General Usage

Vacations, family get togethers, maybe a football game or two, vehicles, etc..

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?

I can't imagine ever printing anything bigger than an 8x10

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?

Indoor - Yes Low Light - Probably

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?

Yes

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?

I really love Sony. I've had tremendous luck with all of their products... laptops, tvs, dvd players, gaming systems, etc.

Are there particular models you already have in mind?

I have two compact and one high zoom in mind: S730@$129, W150@$229, and the H10@$249

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features?

Image stabilization would be fantastic and I'm undecided about the wide angle. Doesn't that mean I'll have to crop my photos to make standardized prints like a 4x6" or 5x7"?

2. Caramel

Caramel Well-Known Member

Sony Cybershot DSC T70

3. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

The S730 is Sony's low end digital camera and isn't bad, but obviously the pictures are not going to look as good as Sony's more expensive cameras.

The W150 has received a limited number or reviews so far, but they've been good.

The H10 is very similar to the previous H3. Both it and the H3 have received good reviews. A lot of people (including me) don't care for the camera's general appearance and its right-hand grip. You should try it out for yourself and see what you think.

The T70 that Caramel mentioned has received generally good reviews, though our DCR reviewer had a problem with certain aspects of it.
    http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=3376&review=Sony+T70

4. X6StringerX

X6StringerX Member

I actually looked at one of the touchscreen Sony models at Circuit City last week. I really didn't like it at all. Compared to the others I had looked at, the menu access seemed really slow and the touch screen wasn't sensitive enough. I had to press over and over to get it to recognize.

I've noticed that the lower end Sony cameras do not say Zeiss on the lenses. Should this be a concern? From what I understand, the Zeiss glass lenses are very high quality.

Thanks for the input!

5. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

The Sony S730 does not have a Zeiss lens, nor does the W120, as the lowest price Sony with a Zeiss lens is the W130. I don't think the Zeiss name on the lens means that much on small cameras as the reviews have criticized the lens sharpness of the W130 as well as the W120 and S730.

6. Caramel

I'd go with the T70. I have a T10 and it's great!

7. rp2s

rp2s Active Member

Why are you limiting yourself to Sony cameras? There are several others that are much higher in quality.

Panasonic TZ3
    Canon S5 IS
    Fuji F50FD

All of these can be had for under $300 online.

Any one of these will make you forget about ANY of the Sony "T" series cameras.

8. Caramel

Where can you get a S5 IS for below 300...that is NOT used?

He probably prefers sony brand over any other brand maybe?

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  9. rp2s

rp2s Active Member

Canon S5 IS "NEW" www.butterflyphoto.com $301.90
    Close enough?

I own the S5 IS along with a Pentax *ist DS dSLR and Panasonic TZ3. Don't limit yourself to any one brand, and do yourself a favor and read a few reviews on the Sony "T" series cameras. Small is not the answer.

10. Caramel

I don't limit myself to one brand or type. I have a T series Sony. And I also have a S5 IS....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.